ABS problem 01 silverado

Old 07-30-05, 07:40 AM
grhow
Visiting Guest
Question ABS problem 01 silverado

I have a problem with the ABS system on my truck and any information about it would be most helpful. This truck is a 2500HD 2WD crew cab 6.0L. Every time right before it comes to a complete stop I can feel the ABS kicking in through the brake pedal. My RPM's drop drastically also,from 500 to 200 almost stalling the engine. I tested the ABS last night by slamming on the brakes at 40 mph and I believe the left front wheel locked up. Having no passenger to listen to the right side I could not tell if it locked up also, but the truck did not seem to pull to either side. I have replaced many disc/drum brakes on older vehicles but know nothing of these new ABS systems. Is there any way to disable the ABS system while still having regular brakes on my truck? The truck only has 34,000 miles on it and being a state employee my funds are a little low to pay to have it repaired. THANX grhow

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by grhow
I have a problem with the ABS system on my truck and any information about it would be most helpful. This truck is a 2500HD 2WD crew cab 6.0L. Every time right before it comes to a complete stop I can feel the ABS kicking in through the brake pedal. My RPM's drop drastically also,from 500 to 200 almost stalling the engine. I tested the ABS last night by slamming on the brakes at 40 mph and I believe the left front wheel locked up. Having no passenger to listen to the right side I could not tell if it locked up also, but the truck did not seem to pull to either side. I have replaced many disc/drum brakes on older vehicles but know nothing of these new ABS systems. Is there any way to disable the ABS system while still having regular brakes on my truck? The truck only has 34,000 miles on it and being a state employee my funds are a little low to pay to have it repaired. THANX grhow
The front wheel sensor brackets have rust under them, remove the brackets, remove the rust, put grease where it mounts and reinstall. GM has a TSB on this problem.

Old 08-02-05, 01:44 PM
ABS Brake Problem

I hope I`m allowed to post under someone else`s car problem but I have the same thing happening I think on my Mother`s van which is a Town & Country Chrysler 2000. When I first take it out in the morning when I apply the brakes, it shudders and then hums and when I hit the brakes a few times after a few stop signs it`s OK for the rest of the day. A mechanic told me this was the ABS system but the ABS light doesn`t come on. My Mom does have an extended warranty but unbelieveably, the diagnostic time is not paid by the plan if the part that is faulty isn`t listed under that plan. Also, if you take it in and they can`t detect a problem, you pay for the tech`s time no matter what - so I could theoretically endlessly pay for a tech to look at it every time it happens to me because when I actually make it into the shop, they won`t find a thing because the symptoms disappear by that time!! I also heard that an ABS problem could be very expensive so I have the same question as GRHOW - can I have the system disabled and use just the normal brakes and is this recommended with a heavy van?

Is this rusting problem the cause for the shuddering-knocking/humming?

SLLS - what`s a TSB?

I did find this piece of what looks to be some sort of black padding with a sticky side about 8 inches by 4 inches and which is about 1/4 inch thick which was just stuck on the top of the engine when I opened up the hood. I thought maybe that caused the problem but nope!! Is it insulation that shouldn`t have come off of something in the engine?

If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate any info I can get. If we can eliminate the problem completely by disengaging the ABS system, so much the better!!

Thanks in advance.

Suessy

P.S. I can only get to a computer every two days or so, so if someone is kind enough to post a reply, please forgive my own delay in replying!!

Last edited by Suessy; 08-02-05 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Adding a PS
Old 08-04-05, 06:01 PM
Grhow, pull the front tires off, then the brake rotors. On the top of the steering knuckles, or off to the side you will see a harness leading to the wheel speed sensor. There will be an allen headed bolt. Take the bolt out and gently remove the wheel speed sensor. Look at the underside of the sensors, you probably will see a rust build up. Clean it off and apply some grease to it. Also, blow out the hole and the area around where the sensor goes. Put 'er back together and take it for a peel. Let us know what happens.
This is what slls was talking about in his post.

If the problem persists, you probably are going to need to take the truck in. They will connect the scan tool and road test the truck while they monitor the wheel speed data. When it slows down to a stop, one of the front wheel speeds is dropping to zero before the other, and the rear thus engaging the ABS.

Search this Thread