Ford Crn Vic Brakes URGENT

Old 07-30-05, 10:02 AM
Ford Crn Vic Brakes URGENT

Have a 99 Crn Vic up on jackstands with rear calipers removed and TRYING to get disc off to replace or turn. I cannot remove the disc from the hub. Haynes manual says there are two rivets that need to be drilled out and not replaced, but damn if I can locate them! Can any one offer some advice, location of rivets? Used penetrant, light ballpeen, nothing. Thanks. tom

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 10:41 AM
Can't say I've ever seen rivets holding a rotor on..If there are, they'd be 2 oppsite from each other, between the wheel studs..Some cars have philips screws, some have hex screws, some have round washer looking keeps on 2 of the studs.. Make sure the parking brake isn't set, and penetrating oil on the rotor's center where the hub comes out through helps..

Old 07-31-05, 08:22 AM
crown vic disc removal

thanks msargent, but still can't locate any rivets. parking brake is off and lever on backing plate is all the way to the disengage end. rotor spins by hand in nuetral so I can't see how it would be the parking brake. There is a small, maybe 1/4 inch hole in the center of the hub, possibly a rivet in there.
ever see that? the rotor is definite still attached to the hub somehow.thought with all the crown vics someone would know. thanks again tom

Old 07-31-05, 10:14 AM
Sometimes the rotors are held on by a very strong rust bond, in which case you would need to give it some good whacks with a larger hammer, then replace the rotors.

Old 07-31-05, 12:42 PM
The rivets are found on the front rotors, not the rear rotors.

Complete instructions for both found at,

http://www.crownvic.net/liquid/brakes.html#prep

Old 08-01-05, 07:23 AM
Thanks to all, msargent and Lugnut! after looking at the pictures at crnvic.net, great site, I detwermined it had to be the parking brake. Spent beacoup time backing off the star wheel until it actually fell apart, then used a sledge to nudge the rotor off. parking brake shoe was entire gone, only a rusted shoe against the rotor. New everything on order. great feeling when it finally came off. thanks for the info and the site.
tom

Old 08-01-05, 07:32 PM
Glad you got it apart!! And BTW, I did see my first set of riveted rotors today, on the front as was stated..(I don't do as much brake work as I did a couple years ago..)Learn something new every day!!