Tranny Trouble...

Old 07-30-05, 09:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tranny Trouble...

1988 Chevy Camaro, 305 Throttle Body Injection, Vin E:

Man, I milked this one for as long as I could. Typical late 4th overdrive kick-in until the car reached normal operating temperature. I did this for about 30,000 miles. She just turned 150 K the other day

Today I saw smoke out my rear view window, after knowing that things were finally going south. I pulled over and found a pink/light brown milky mixture on the ground and noted that it was that was that way in the trans dipstick and also the radiator. Radiator capacity was fine, though milky. Engine oil IS FULL AND NOT CONTAMINATED. Well, I knew I blew something cuz it was sprayed all in the engine compartment, but i'm pretty sure it's an internal gasket in the trans.

Is this a for sure situation where I just swap out the trans, or could this be easily fixed?

Also, what is the best option for purchasing one? I just got quoted from checkers at 1100$$$. My bro said junkyard $275, and i am considering that cuz this car is starting to show it's age.

Also, if I do swap out, what MUST i also change in the process while I have it out?

Please, I would be forever grateful for your support and knowledge!!!

Aloha,

Maitai

Old 07-30-05, 10:05 PM
M
Sorry...it s a 700R4

Old 07-31-05, 12:47 AM
The key to this problem is figuring out where the leak is coming from. The fix could be simple or complex depending on what is causing it. Tranny leaks are hard to pinpoint since the fluid tends to spray around while driving. What you can do is purchase a cheap UV dye kit, add the dye to the fluid and try to figure out where it is coming from. If you are lucky you may just have a plugged vent which can be easily cleaned out. If the leak is coming from the case due to a crack, or a gasket that holds the casing of the tranny together then the tranny will have to come out for repair or replacement. I've heard of people fixing case leaks with some kind of patching compound - this may also be an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: