95 Sentra headlight problem

Old 07-31-05, 10:41 AM
Luxor
Visiting Guest
95 Sentra headlight problem

The right side headlight went out on my 95 Sentra. Both the bulb and fuse are good. I get power to the fuse box and the left side, but none on the right side. Any suggestions on a cause and/or fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 01:49 PM
Use a vom with a pin point lead to probe the wire through the wire insulation, just behind the light connector. If you get 12 volts there, then the lamp connector is bad.

Old 08-01-05, 07:17 AM
Luxor
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lugnut, already tried that and have no power there. If fact, I went back to left side (just after Left Headlight) in harness and had no power there either.

Old 08-01-05, 02:49 PM
If left lamp works, you should get 12 volts with lights switched on. Double check your procedure.

Old 08-02-05, 06:50 PM
Does the right side high beams work?

Try swapping left and right side bulbs- does the problem stay with the right or move to the left? I'm assuming that you don't have Daytime Running Lights-unless the car was made for the Canadian market. Please advise if I'm wrong about this. Also, do you have a car alarm that flashes the headlights-either factory or aftermarket? Have you checked ground connection on the right side?

I have a 95 Sentra myself, from the Haynes manual (for a plain 95, no theft sytem or DRL) and unless I'm mis-reading the wiring diagram, power comes from the fuse box at fuses 39 and 40. Fuse 39 should be the right headlamp fuse. The wire from the fuse panel to the combination switch should be red. From the combination switch the wire to the low-beam side of the right headlight is red/green. The high beam colors from the combo switch to the headlight is pink/blue. The ground connection is black and should go directly to the chassis. I can't tell about the combo switch terminals and wiring though-my diagram shows the switch side without referencing wire colors.

Other possible causes for the problem are: defective bulb (it does happen), bad combo switch, bad connections (terminals/crimps/broken wires) at the switch, firewall connector or headlamp connector itself.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Desy2820; 08-02-05 at 07:11 PM.