1991 Dodge Dakota fuel problems.

Old 07-31-05, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1991 Dodge Dakota fuel problems.

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any advice given.
Vehicle: 1991 Dodge Dakota Sport, 318 engine, auto trans, 275,000 miles.
Problem: Was running great. Started it up and it died. Went to re-start it right away and the key felt hot to the touch. Towed truck home to work on it. Engine turns over good, good spark, but the fuel pump wasn't pumping up. Couldn't hear the pump run when the key was turned on. Took the pump out and tested it and it does work. I can find no fuel pump fuse, or relay for fuel delivery. I checked the wires around the switch and nothing is burned or melted there.
Questions:
1) Is there a fusible link for the pump that could have burned?
2) Is there a pressure regulator that could be bad? Where would I find it and how would I test it?
3) If I run a wire to the pump that is fed from the ignition switch, though I know it isn't the proper way to fix this, will it work? After all, this truck has close to 300, 000 miles on it. Would this be safe to do?

Again, thanks in advance for reading and responding and best of days to you all, John

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 06:15 PM
Check fuel pressure via schader valve or disconnected fuel rail before posing speculative questions and solutions.

Old 07-31-05, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Check fuel pressure via schader valve or disconnected fuel rail before posing speculative questions and solutions.
Second that.....

As far as hot wiring the pump - do you have an urge to die by fire?

Old 07-31-05, 08:08 PM
How do you check the fuel pressure? Is a special tool needed for this? What and where is the schader valve? This truck has throttle body injection.

I take it that rewiring the pump is not the thing to do?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

Old 07-31-05, 08:24 PM
Requires a fuel pressure gauge. Follow the supply line back from the TBI to locate the shrader valve (looks like a metal tire valve stem).

Old 07-31-05, 08:31 PM
check under the hood for a blown fusible link will probably not be to far from the battery pull on each one to make sure they are ok as they may appear to be ok but burnt up inside the insulation if they stretch and pull aprt the link is blown and you will need to replace the link with same guage fusible link.
also suggest you look at your ignition switch again more closely, disconnect the connector and look for any melted terminals or plastic.
if its throttle body injected it will not have a test port for checking fuel pressure you will actually have to remove the larger fuel supply hose and using a T to attach a guage.

Old 07-31-05, 08:33 PM
Ok, I'll borrow a tester and check it out. What should the pressure be?

Thanks again, and best of days to you.

Old 07-31-05, 08:49 PM
im sure someone will post specs I dont recall but if you know for sure the pump isnt coming on even for a second when the key is first turned on then you will not have any pressure obviously, so why even bother checking it with a guage?