1998 Dodge Ram 1500 overheats. HELP

Old 07-31-05, 08:57 PM
woody560
Visiting Guest
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 overheats. HELP

I have the 5.9 liter engine and it continues to overheat. The waterpump blew a few months ago and has been replaced as well as the thermostat. It has had a radiator flush, a new thermostat, a new fan clutch and a new temperature sensor. No less it still oveheats. Any ideas and help would be great appreciated. Steve.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 10:04 PM
when does it overheat while driving or will it overheat just at idle?
why did you change the temp sensor? is it actually blowing coolant out the overflow when it overheats or does the guage just reading hot with no signs of the engine actually overheating?
suggest seeing a shop for diagnossis of the cooling system and for the shop to also check for exhuast gases in the cooling system wich could indicate a head or head gasket problem.

Old 08-01-05, 10:44 AM
woody560
Visiting Guest
it overheats while driving and while at an idle. usually after about 30 minutes of driving. the sensor was changed last week. it has overheated once with coolant leaking all over from the reserve. the other times i have turned the heater on and it seemed to at least get me when i needed to go. I actually have taken it to a shop and these are teh changes tehy have been making. Nothing seems to work. I suggested a head gasket to tehm but they dont think it's the problem. Maybe i need a new shop. What about teh possibility of the radiator being partially obstructed. The hose from the engine to the radiator is so hot its hard to hold onto but the return hose from radiator to engine is luke warm. Any other suggestions would be appreciated seeing that I think I amy have to find the problem myself.

Old 08-01-05, 10:58 AM
you need to find a shop that can do a block check test or use an exhuast anilizer to determine if exhuast gases are getting into the cooling system.
the radiater can get restricted with deposits however it usually will only overheat while under a load or driving at speed and will run at more of a normal temp at idle or light load.