Radiator leak

Old 08-01-05, 07:36 PM
Radiator leak

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It's leaking radiator fluid somewhere from the front of the vehicle. I'm not sure if it's the radiator or not. The overflow resevoir has dropped below the low level a couple times so I've put in fluid a to the full mark. It tends to leak out mostly after I fill it and not much afterwards (but the leak is not near the overflow resevoir but more to the driver's side). I haven't had any overheating. I probably lose about a half liter of fluid a week.

I bought some of the radiotor leak sealer to give it a try before going to the service station. The instructions say to remove the radiator cap, run the vehicle, top it up to the appropriate level and then add the fluid. My question: when I take off the radiator cap the fluid is to the very top. The fluid in the resevoir is not up to the full level. The instructions say to pour the sealer into the radiator (and not the resevoir). BUT, my radiator is full. Hmmm? How can my radiator be full but the overflow not full? Where do I pour the sealer?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-05, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Atrypa
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It's leaking radiator fluid somewhere from the front of the vehicle. I'm not sure if it's the radiator or not. The overflow resevoir has dropped below the low level a couple times so I've put in fluid a to the full mark. It tends to leak out mostly after I fill it and not much afterwards (but the leak is not near the overflow resevoir but more to the driver's side). I haven't had any overheating. I probably lose about a half liter of fluid a week.

I bought some of the radiotor leak sealer to give it a try before going to the service station. The instructions say to remove the radiator cap, run the vehicle, top it up to the appropriate level and then add the fluid. My question: when I take off the radiator cap the fluid is to the very top. The fluid in the resevoir is not up to the full level. The instructions say to pour the sealer into the radiator (and not the resevoir). BUT, my radiator is full. Hmmm? How can my radiator be full but the overflow not full? Where do I pour the sealer?
Personally, I don't care for stop leak.. It has a way of stopping up more than just a leak.But a person does what they have to to get by!
You'll need to drain a little antifreeze from the radiator in order to add the stop leak. The radiator is being kept full from the fluid from the over flow. The jug works both ways, adds to the cooling system via the radiator cap, and receives from the radiator, via the radiator cap..As the level gets lower and lower in the radiator, more and more is being "siphoned" off from the jug.
As a wild guess, being you say the leak is more on on the drivers side, I'd say the water pump is beginning to leak, and it's running down the lower radiator hose, onto the ground..

Old 08-02-05, 05:59 AM
not stop leak

I can tell you horror stories about stop leak I have used it one time and never again it plugs up every thing and even after 5 years of normal flushes it is still in the system.
I would start with the easy things first like hose clamps tight and then go to other things like water pump.You will need to get a good flashlight maybe a inspection mirror and get a little dirty.Your Jeep is high enough off the ground so you can crawl under it with your light and look at stuff.Have engine runnning and heater on look at the connections for all water hoses.look at water pump there should be a small hole but no water should be comming out.
(Be carfull of moving parts)Take your time.Stop leak is a temp fix at best and only prolongs the pain.

Old 08-02-05, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Michael Van. If you fix it right, you only have to fix it once.

Old 08-03-05, 10:49 AM
Stop leak is only for people who want to mask a problem before sale. Fix it right.

The way I've successfully found leaks is by pressurizing the system with shop air at 20 psi. It safely produces coolant at leak points without having to run the engine and warming it up.

The way to pressurize the system is to jam something to prevent the lower lip of the radiator cap form making a seal while allowing the upper seal to hold tight. Then introduce 20 psi through the overflow connection at the cap.

Search this Thread