exhaust leak

Old 08-02-05, 08:20 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
exhaust leak

I'm really new to cars so if this is a stupid question, sorry. Whenever you get out of my car it always feels like there is an excess amount of very hot air coming out from under the car and if you feel my center console or anything toward the middle of my car it's always burning hot. My friend mentioned it may be an exhaust leak. Is there any way i can check for this and also, is this dangerous to my car?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-05, 07:46 AM
some info

If you had a exaust leak before the muffler you would hear it very loud.More then likely it is your cataltic convertor they get very hot.They can catch grass on fire.What kind of car and how old.

Old 08-03-05, 01:07 PM
An exhaust leak wouldn't make it feel any hotter underneath the car

Old 08-03-05, 05:08 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
it's a 92 chevy beretta. the only odd noise i hear is the rattling of the heat shield because my dad hit a huge puddle and bent it. Could that be why there's so much hot air coming out from under the car (my guess is that's what it is...sorry for not mentioning it earlier but i forgot about it, until someone mentioned listening for noises...lol)

Old 08-03-05, 05:14 PM
yep

That might be it a damaged heat shield will cause these symptoms.That is one reason they are there to protect parts around it and under it.Repair or replace it and your rattle will also go away.

Old 08-03-05, 08:34 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
it's been repaired 3 times but every time within a week my dad decides to try it out and bends it again...he loves to hit huge puddles and the spray bends the shield when it's hot...idiot. anyways....is there anything i can do myself?

Old 08-04-05, 05:34 AM
education

I think the only thing you can do is educate your dad on why it is not good to take a berreta 4 wheeling.Not only will it warp the thin sheet metal but also not very good on front CV boots.
I used to do the same thing the bigger the puddle the better now at the age of 50 I say why.
Fix it again bend it back.What fixed my high water adventure was the day I hydrolcked the engine on my 77 datsun big $$$$$$$$$$.
good luck with your dad.

Old 08-04-05, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by sr71000
.is there anything i can do myself?
Take away his keys to your car

Old 08-06-05, 09:15 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
sorry it took a few days to respond...work got a little crazy. I'm gonna do some work on the car for now (oil change, breaks, and other such maintenance as it's in great need of a little tlc lol) Then i'd like to replace/repair the heat shield...myself if possible...anyone have any online reading that could educate me a little....and he doesn't have keys to my car anymore...but that doesn't stop him...he'll grab mine while i'm sleeping (and i can't talk bad bout him takin it off road...i just did a few days w/ the g/f maybe it's bad for the car but it makes me look good lmao until i snap something...then i just look dumb! hehehe) thanks guys for the help so far...atleast now i think i'm on the right track! lol.

Old 08-06-05, 09:28 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Check your CAT. An exhaust leak would be loud. Heat shield around CAT (unlikely) no noise concern. Check the position of the CAT, Where is it? under the console.
sorry it took a few days to respond...work got a little crazy. I'm gonna do some work on the car for now (oil change, breaks, and other such maintenance as it's in great need of a little tlc lol) Then i'd like to replace/repair the heat shield...myself if possible...anyone have any online reading that could educate me a little....and he doesn't have keys to my car anymore...but that doesn't stop him...he'll grab mine while i'm sleeping (and i can't talk bad bout him takin it off road...i just did a few days w/ the g/f maybe it's bad for the car but it makes me look good lmao until i snap something...then i just look dumb! hehehe) thanks guys for the help so far...atleast now i think i'm on the right track! lol.

Old 08-06-05, 09:31 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
cat=? i doubt u mean the type that goes "meow" the only thing i can think you'd mean is the catalytic converter but idk anything about cars so i'm not sure. I need to learn a lot more about cars before i attempt anything really serious but i figured it was worth asking here. I'm gonna get my friend who does a lot of work on cars to come and check it out with me. I'll see if I can get under the car and find the source of the heat and take a picture..then you guys can help maybe lol.

Old 08-06-05, 09:39 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Have a look underneath, you will see a round what seems to look like a muffler, the position is usually at or under the driver (under the car). Its the CAT, check for heat, they usually run 700+deg.
cat=? i doubt u mean the type that goes "meow" the only thing i can think you'd mean is the catalytic converter but idk anything about cars so i'm not sure. I need to learn a lot more about cars before i attempt anything really serious but i figured it was worth asking here. I'm gonna get my friend who does a lot of work on cars to come and check it out with me. I'll see if I can get under the car and find the source of the heat and take a picture..then you guys can help maybe lol.

Old 08-08-05, 01:17 PM
sr71000
Visiting Guest
is it the catalytic converter you're talking about though...cus i do know what that looks like (only because i drove by one a few days ago on the side of the road and my friend remarked about the poor sucker who lost his catalytic converter.....lol.

Old 08-08-05, 01:31 PM
is it the catalytic converter you're talking about though...cus i do know what that looks like (only because i drove by one a few days ago on the side of the road and my friend remarked about the poor sucker who lost his catalytic converter.....lol.
lol...
Yes
I believe jeffstevens means your catalytic converter
Yours may look a little different
But you probably get the idea of what to look for now