Shop siliconed oil pan gasket

Old 08-03-05, 10:18 AM
sweetthing
Visiting Guest
Question Shop siliconed oil pan gasket

I purchased a 96 Camaro and the dealership was to replace my oil pan gasket. We had a specialty shop do a oil change just so we could see if the gasket had been replaced and they told us it had been siliconed. The service manager at the dealership told us that you have to silicone the gasket to hold it in place. Am I nuts or is he wrong? : Also LOW OIL light and SERVICE ENGINE SOON
light comes and goes. Oil pan was damaged, but they said they changed the oil pan and the sensor. Could anything else be wrong? It's also a T-Top, and when windows are all the way up, bad vibrations and noise comes, anything to fix this problem? I really need help on these subjects, please..

Last edited by sweetthing; 08-03-05 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added detail and more questions
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some mechanics use silicone in the aid of sealing with gaskets. On oil pans like yours it is a common practive to put silicond on the corners of the oil pan gasket where its bends to make room for the crank (some mechanics like to go crazy, as long as there is a gasket in there you are fine). As for the noises you here is, that is probably hatch back and door noises from chassis flex. Very common problem for convertibles and t-tops, you just have to deal with it or get strut tower bars for the front and rear and lower ties to stiffen the chassis by connecting the front subframe to the rear.

Old 08-07-05, 01:04 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
if your oil pan has a rubber gasket stock, I wouldn't use silicone on the whole gasket, just at the sharp corners. the silicone will actually make it seal worse, and probalby cause a leak overtime.

however some oil pans only use a bead of silicone to seal it to the block w/o a rubber gasket. so on these engines you would obviously need to silicone it