1993 Honda Prelude Compressor is Bad

Old 08-03-05, 04:15 PM
judy boyd
Visiting Guest
1993 Honda Prelude Compressor is Bad

My daugther has a 1993 Honda Prelude. It began smoking (thick white smoke) per her description. She took it to a local garage and they had now advised me that the compressor locked up. They quoted approx $1000 to replace the compressor and make all the repair necessary to resume the a/c working. She is unable to afford that kind of repair at this time. The mechanic advised me that the car cannot run at all w/o this repair, as the compressor pulley is linked to the alternator pulley and thus the alternator will not operate w/o repairing the compressor. I contend that they can remove the compressor, use a smaller belt to connect the alternator back up and problem solved. Who is correct? If the compressor can be removed, is there anything else that needs to be done other than simply removing it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 02:39 PM
You can use a smaller belt, how do you think the cars without A/C work. Plus you can go to the junk yard and pick up a compressor. Oil will probably be needed to add to it.

Old 08-05-05, 03:33 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
yep just get a shorter belt, and bypass the a/c compressor and you will be fine.