Timing Belt 98 Civic

Old 08-04-05, 11:28 AM
Question Timing Belt 98 Civic

It's time to do the belt on my wifes' car, but I've never done this before.

It's a 1998 Honda Civic LX with the D168Y 1.6L engine.

I work on my own cars a lot. I'm your typical shadetree mechanic. I can usually do just about anything to my own cars. I've done cluthes, driveshafts, and halfshafts. I've done alternators, and steering boxes. Wheel bearings, and break jobs. Even rebuilt a couple motors.

But, I've only done a timing belt on this type of car once in the past. I helped my brother do the belt on his 89 Honda Civic a number of years back. Probably 5yrs ago. We had to remove one of the engine mounting bolts and jack the engine/trans up about an inch to gain access to the lower part somewhere. Can't remember the exact procedure. Gettin' old. Need a little help.

I've got the following parts so far (factory Honda parts):
Timing belt
Timing cover Seal for the crankshaft
Water Pump w/gasket
Valve-Cover Gasket and Plug Boot set

I don't anticipate abnormal gear wear, so I haven't ordered gears. The tensioner is on order--so I'll be replaceing that.

I plan on pulling the valve-cover and adjusting the valves while I've got it all apart.

Can anyone help--or provide a link to a detailed explanation of the timing belt procedure?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 01:40 PM
look in an import tuner former or post thread there. You would be surprise the things you can learn from those.

Old 08-06-05, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by shottys
look in an import tuner former or post thread there. You would be surprise the things you can learn from those.
HUH?
Whats an "import tuner former"?

Anybody else got any info on the timing belt procedure?

Thanks