Seat Belt Problem

Old 08-04-05, 02:04 PM
Seat Belt Problem

I have a 1991 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I cannot push the seat belt latch (the one on the end of the shoulder harness on the driver's side) into the metal part on the end of the seat belt coming through the seat on the drivers side, therefore, I cannot hook the seat belt. Is this something I will need to go to the dealer to have fixed or is this something that I can do myself? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you. Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 04:29 PM
You can fix this yourself there is only one bolt that holds that in. I would find out what a dealer would charge for one, but a junk yard would only charge a few dollars for one. Only important thing you need to know is that you loc-tite and torque the bolt when you tighten the bolt back down after putting the new one in. A lot of people don't do this but thats the proper way. Any auto place will be able to explain this in more depth. You can pick up a cheap torque wrench for around $30.

You can find out the torque spec at the dealer to or buy a book on the car like chiltons or haynes

Old 08-08-05, 12:10 PM
Seat Belt Problem

Thank you so much for the information. I will purchase the torque wrench and give this a try.

Kathy

Old 08-08-05, 03:06 PM
Often, foreign objects, most notably, a dime or penny, will fall into the latch and prevent it from working properly. If you can strong arm it, try bending the latch toward the floor and striking it with a hammer or something hard to see if anything falls out. Probe around in the slot at the same time. If it is really stuck, then you may have to remove it to remove the object. Many of those require a torx head socket and some muscle to remove because they are lock-tite installed as they should be.

Old 08-08-05, 03:45 PM
Some belts buckles will go only in their own latch. Check to make sure you
are trying to latch the right buckle to the right latch.

Search this Thread