Changing Alternator

Old 08-04-05, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Changing Alternator

Trying to change the alternator in a 95 Olds Achieva 3.1L V6. I believe I have all of the bolts out, but the alternator won't budge. I also cannot get the tension off the serpentine belt and that might be all that's holding it in. How do I release the tension on the belt? I believe I found the tensioner underneath the alternator, but I can barely get it to move.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 07:26 AM
There is a bolt on the tensioner that needs to be loosened, either 3/4 or 13'16th. Use a long rachet for leverage. You need to take the pressure off the bolt and the serpentine belt will slide off. Get yourself a Chiltons manual.

Old 08-05-05, 08:01 AM
I can't recall if that has an automatic tensioner, If it does you will need to put a wrench on the pulley bolt of the tensioner and pull it in the direction that loosens the belt. There may even be a spot for a 3/8 ratchet. On the tensioner.

Old 08-05-05, 01:03 PM
It's a bolt-down type tensioner
Yeah it's kinda weird
You have to loosen the bolt

Old 08-05-05, 05:04 PM
hmmm you mean a manual tensioner like how the tensioners were on v-belt cars

Old 08-05-05, 08:28 PM
There is no bolt to loosen on this type of tensioner. You need a 3/8" ratchet to stick into the 3/8" square boss in the tensioner. You will see which way you need to go with the ratchet by observing the belt tension while applying force to the ratchet.

EDIT: Just noticed shotty's first post, which I second .