Clicking sound coming from fusebox - '01 Impala

Old 08-05-05, 02:39 PM
Clicking sound coming from fusebox - '01 Impala

There is a clicking sound coming from the passenger side fusebox. I think it may be one of the relays that's cycling. The dead battery protection relay seemed a lot hotter than the others. I really couldn't tell which fuse/relay is causing the clicking. I imagine that it's cycling on and off. Is is a matter of just replacing the relay? Could this be caused by something other than the relay? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 03:45 PM
It can be caused by the circuit that drives the coil of the relay to turn it on. It maybe shorting out. Depending on the circuit relays can get pretty hot.

Old 08-06-05, 10:49 AM
I've determined that it's the Back Up Lamp circuit. I've replaced the relay and it keeps cycling, so it's not the relay itself. Also, the fuse is not blown. How can I check the coil? Is there anything I else I should look for?

Mark

Old 08-06-05, 06:59 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Have a look at the neutral switch(range sensor) in the transmission.
I didn't think the B/U circuit ran on a relay. Maybe DRL module (driving lights) just suggestion.
Originally Posted by markdiy
I've determined that it's the Back Up Lamp circuit. I've replaced the relay and it keeps cycling, so it's not the relay itself. Also, the fuse is not blown. How can I check the coil? Is there anything I else I should look for?

Mark

Old 08-06-05, 08:08 PM
The coil of the relay can be checked for resistance, but since the relay is working you don't need to.

You better get a book that has the schematics for the car. Trouble shooting electrical issues is hard to do with out the schematics.

Old 08-06-05, 08:51 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by shottys
The coil of the relay can be checked for resistance, but since the relay is working you don't need to.

You better get a book that has the schematics for the car. Trouble shooting electrical issues is hard to do with out the schematics.
You need to know colours b/wt, y/bl. Schematic good idea. What's ment by the coil? coil is for only large amounts of eletricity, it could be the source that turns on the relay. Are the headlights on when the key is turned to run position? seeing a relay clicking is the only concern is there any abnormal driving conditions? The original post claims the problem is a relay clicking.
What happens when you unplug the relay?

Old 08-07-05, 09:38 AM
When I unplug the relay, the back up lights don't work.
That's about the only issue I've found with it. I wonder if there is a short somewhere. The headlights seems to be working, although I've seen them flicker once or twice in the past several days. Also, the daytime running lights have turned off once or twice when I shift the car into park. They should stay on.

Old 08-07-05, 11:26 AM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
There is a range sensor in the transmisson, and when the car is put in reverse it turns on the B/U lights. Also this switch will not allow starting in any gear(reverse, drive). This maybe the source of the problem. With the relay removed does the car start, or start in any gear? be carefull it may jump when started in gear

When I unplug the relay, the back up lights don't work.
That's about the only issue I've found with it. I wonder if there is a short somewhere. The headlights seems to be working, although I've seen them flicker once or twice in the past several days. Also, the daytime running lights have turned off once or twice when I shift the car into park. They should stay on.

Old 08-08-05, 09:03 AM
The car starts OK with the BU Relay removed. I read something about the Body Control Module (BCM). Apparently, it controls a lot of the electrical components. Does anyone know more about this and could it be defective?

I drove the car yesterday and the relay clicked once or twice in 40 min. The other day, it was clicking about 15x a minute. So it seems sporadic, at best...

Old 08-08-05, 01:18 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Check power door lock circut, should lock when put in gear. Just a thought.

The car starts OK with the BU Relay removed. I read something about the Body Control Module (BCM). Apparently, it controls a lot of the electrical components. Does anyone know more about this and could it be defective?

I drove the car yesterday and the relay clicked once or twice in 40 min. The other day, it was clicking about 15x a minute. So it seems sporadic, at best...

Old 08-07-10, 03:38 PM
Same Problem in my 02

I have the exact same problem in my 02 but it seems like it only does it when my car sits in the heat. Same thing with the lights but my car also has a clicking noise in the dash that stops when I hit the brakes. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car?