Oxidation of paint what product is best

Old 08-05-05, 06:34 PM
Oxidation of paint what product is best

Oxidation of paint what product is best to use on my 1987 Nissan anyone know of any home remedies that I might be able to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 08:02 PM
3m imperial microfinish compound and a high speed buffer not orbital. You can pick up a high speed buffer at sears for about $60 plus you need to get a lambs wool bonnet. Using this will give you a show car shine again,

Old 08-06-05, 02:34 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
When it comes to a hi speed buffer and a wool pad you can do some serious dammage to your paint. I recommend using foam pads with an orbital if this is your first time, less chance of burning the paint. Also its highly reccomended to use different pads for each cut cleaner(polish) you use. Check meguiars website for a quick instruction on how to restore your paints finnish. (very helpfull) I have been restoring auto paint for 9 years.

Old 08-06-05, 03:25 PM
I like Mother's pre-wax cleaner
I'll also use Meguire's

Either one is part of a three step process that I can recommend for a great shiny finish
Either works well by hand or with a random orbital

If the needs cleaning real bad, I won't use a the random orbital and a pad (my prefered method) as the pad will get full of crud pretty quick
I'll do it by hand and have lots of towels ready, as they'll get dirty pretty quick

Old 08-06-05, 04:11 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
If the pad gets really dirty full of crud, let it dry and use a brush to clean. turn the polisher on and scrub with the brush. Also make sure you use different pads with the different cleaners (heavy,medium,fine,swirl remover) this will eliminate any problems with cross-contamination, applying swirl remover to the same pad you just used for heavy cut cleaner will not allow the shine to come back. Also go over with a hand glaze. Your finnish should look like new.
post back a success story.

Old 08-13-05, 01:51 AM
oxidation

I dont have an orbital thing. How much is one of those things? Are the products that you suggest wax? Im in california where is the best priced place to go?

Old 08-13-05, 06:41 AM
Most "wax" is actually a cleaner/wax
Mothers and Meguires sell the separate "steps"
They are all like a wax and can be applied by hand, which I'd probably recommend for a first timer
First step is a paint cleaner (which is already in stuff likeTurtle Wax)
It gets the oxidation and stuff just washing won't
Wipe on wipe off (following the instructions for the kind you have)
Second step is a polish or glaze
Wipe on wipe off
Third step is a pure wax (no cleaner)
Wipe on wipe off