1998 Astro Van A/C

Old 08-06-05, 02:38 AM
1998 Astro Van A/C

I've got a 1998 Chevy Astro Van and the front air conditioning is not working properly. I can hear the motor blowing, but no cold air comes out. The rear A/C works fine. I think the hose has disconnected from the air outlets up front but can't figure out how to get to it. Do I have to take the dash apart or can I somehow get to it from under the hood? It's hard to believe they can pack so much under the hood of these minivans!

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-05, 02:35 PM
Ok, if there is cold air coming out of the defroster or the floor vents, there is a vacuum line broken. This will cause the ac vents to be inoperable. Pop the hood and remove the air filter box. If your hands are small enough, you can reach on top of the snorkle to unscrew the retainer that hols the snorkle to the throttle body. Remove the snorkle. On the driver's side of the engine, on the intake manifold, there is a plastic vacuum line that is known to dry up and break. Just get some small rubber vacuum hose and replace the old, cracked up portion. But first, you can do a visual to make sure this is your problem so you aren't tearing it apart for no reason. Looking at the engine, around the transmission dipstick area, you will see this vacuum line. Give it a gentle tug to see if it is indeed broken.

Old 08-07-05, 05:59 PM
Mr. Dummas, you are good! I found the broken vacuum line. Now all I have to do is replace it. Thanks a bundle!

Pecos

Old 08-07-05, 06:28 PM
Glad to help out

Old 08-08-05, 07:51 PM
You da man, Dummas! I even got the wife in on the fix. My hand wasn't small enough to fit in the space, so she came out and hooked the vaccum line up. Probably the first time she ever got engine grime on her hands! Oh well, it's her van anyway, so it's only fittin'. Now the A/C works like a champ. For my next project, I'm working on the Dummas shrine in the living room. Gotta get some flowers and votive candles (already drank the sacrificial wine). Thanks again!
Pecos

Old 08-09-05, 06:33 PM