Temp Sensor Reading

Old 08-06-05, 10:28 AM
Question Temp Sensor Reading

on my chevy astro the temp sensor for the gauge is down by the exhaust and the sensor is read the antifreeze temp and the header temp, what can i put around the sensor so it doesnt read the heat form the exhaust?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 02:56 PM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
It won't read the exhaust, the thermistor is on the end inside the cylider head water jacket.

Old 08-06-05, 11:28 PM
ya but the exhaust it not even a inch away from it, and tires plus said thats ahy it shows its over heating in 2 mins

Old 08-06-05, 11:52 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
theres no need to worry about sheilding the heat because the sensor is in the very tip of the actual sensor, which is basically surrounded by coolant.

if your overheating according to the guage, either the sensor is faulty or your actually overheating.

have you tried checking the coolant levels, and proper fan operation?

Old 08-07-05, 06:23 AM
ya i just did a flush, new fan, new sensor, tried 3 diff sensors and they all say the same. but it cant be overheating because i can grab the outlet hose from the motor and its barely warm

Old 08-07-05, 06:02 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
did you bleed the air out of the coolant? because if you have air in it will cause the sensor to go crazy.

Old 08-07-05, 07:04 PM
how do you do that?

Old 08-07-05, 09:57 PM
what temperature does the guage read?

Old 08-07-05, 10:15 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
With the engine cold remove the rad cap, grab the upper rad hose in your hand start squeezing, pumping it. You will hear a gargle sound. You will have to fill it up. Start the engine and repeat the above procedure.
How did you mix the coolant?
Also there are usually 2 sensors for coolant. One for ECU the other for guage, how many wires did you see on the sensor you mentioned? should be one wire for the guage.

Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
how do you do that?

Old 08-07-05, 11:36 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
most importantly, do the bleeding and fillin on a flat surface. but usually you can get all the air out by running up the car to operating temps with the rad cap off, then turn it off and let it cool down, then refill rad, and you should be good

Old 08-08-05, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
what temperature does the guage read?
red hot, and it goes up pretty fast, i can put my hand on the engine and its cold

Old 08-08-05, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by jeffstevens
With the engine cold remove the rad cap, grab the upper rad hose in your hand start squeezing, pumping it. You will hear a gargle sound. You will have to fill it up. Start the engine and repeat the above procedure.
How did you mix the coolant?
Also there are usually 2 sensors for coolant. One for ECU the other for guage, how many wires did you see on the sensor you mentioned? should be one wire for the guage.

i bought the sensor that has 1 wire
i bought coolant that was pemixed