help in repairing harmonic balance in a probe GT

Old 08-06-05, 02:21 PM
brenda cruson
Visiting Guest
help in repairing harmonic balance in a probe GT

Hello my name is brenda and i have a probe GT ,95 looks like my harmonic blancer pulley (HBP) came apart. can the out side groves come off? looks like the groves fell off and i want to know if this is some kind of attachment that i can buy to put back on this or what.

I have replaced several belts, at first thinking it was the idler pully. but after replaceing the idler pully found out there was a HBP and that does not move, but looks like it should have groves to help move the belt along??????????????
Also would like to know if the whole engine has to be dropped to get to this pulley????

Last edited by brenda cruson; 08-06-05 at 02:45 PM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 10:18 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Check the water pump. Are you sure its the crank pully? I have never seen a balancer fall apart other than the rubber cracking or the seal making a groove. Also the belt cannot wear the pully smooth, is there an overheating problem? Is the inside of the grooves of the belt facing the pully?
Originally Posted by brenda cruson
Hello my name is brenda and i have a probe GT ,95 looks like my harmonic blancer pulley (HBP) came apart. can the out side groves come off? looks like the groves fell off and i want to know if this is some kind of attachment that i can buy to put back on this or what.

I have replaced several belts, at first thinking it was the idler pully. but after replaceing the idler pully found out there was a HBP and that does not move, but looks like it should have groves to help move the belt along??????????????
Also would like to know if the whole engine has to be dropped to get to this pulley????

Old 08-07-05, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The crankshaft pulley is mounted to the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer itself is not a pulley. The crankshaft pulley can become detached from the balancer. Were are talking about two separate parts but they are bolted together and may appear as a single part to the untrained eye.

Since there seems to be some confusion about this, I am wondering if your crankshaft pulley became loose and fell off the vehicle while you were driving. If so, this would have eaten up the belt immediately and at first glance you might have mistakenly thought the balancer 'was' the pulley, when in fact, the pulley was thrown off the car and is laying on the side of the road somewhere. If this is the case, then just purchase a new pulley and bolts and reinstall it after verifying the threads are not damaged.

Additionally, you need to verify that the balancer itself is properly torqued to specs, since it may be loose which could have silently caused the pulley to become detached. If the balancer proves to be loose, then pay close attention to the repair since the balancer is attached to the crankshaft and there is no margin for error, such as cross threading a crankshaft bolt.

Last edited by Lugnut; 08-07-05 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-07-05, 12:02 PM
brenda cruson
Visiting Guest
95 probe GT

thank you for all the help. I did not have an over heating problem until the last belt went and it melted all over the idler pulley and then broke off on the high way tring to get home. but have had to replace three belts in a matter of three days and then i started to ask around (with not any luck). so are you guys telling me - i have lost my groves but not the pully and i just need to find another one and put it on?????????????????????????????????? is it like a sleeve?
and can i use one off a junk yard car?

Old 08-07-05, 12:14 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
If the crank pully fell off you wouldn't be able to fit on the new belts you claimed you changed. If the pully fell off you would know about it. The water pump should be located next to the balancer, it will have a smooth pulley with the back of the belt facing it. If the bearing is seized the pully will not move, this is maybe why your car throws belts.

Old 08-08-05, 02:49 AM
brenda cruson
Visiting Guest
95 probe GT

Originally Posted by jeffstevens
If the crank pully fell off you wouldn't be able to fit on the new belts you claimed you changed. If the pully fell off you would know about it. The water pump should be located next to the balancer, it will have a smooth pulley with the back of the belt facing it. If the bearing is seized the pully will not move, this is maybe why your car throws belts.

my crank shaft is still on the car, I was told that the lst time i threw a belt the harmonic balancer also came up missing. it was there the day before. my water pump is up further on the engine and is still working (has motion) and I was not having any problems with the car over heating at all. can i replace the harmonic balancer without replacing the crank shaft too? and how will i know if i need to replace the crank shaft? it does not move when i try to turn it with my hand.

Old 08-08-05, 11:19 AM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
You need f32z 6c337 a hub asy, only serviced in pully and balancer asy for 2.5lt. You cannot turn the crank by hand due to engine compression.
Originally Posted by brenda cruson
my crank shaft is still on the car, I was told that the lst time i threw a belt the harmonic balancer also came up missing. it was there the day before. my water pump is up further on the engine and is still working (has motion) and I was not having any problems with the car over heating at all. can i replace the harmonic balancer without replacing the crank shaft too? and how will i know if i need to replace the crank shaft? it does not move when i try to turn it with my hand.