White smoke comming off muffler 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Old 08-07-05, 12:47 PM
dstruk
Visiting Guest
Question White smoke comming off muffler 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

I recently bought this car (96 eclipse GS), the previous owner had told me about this problem regarding the muffler and how it blows white smoke and it smells like oil is burning at the same time. I've been stopped once or twice while driving it by random people on the road commenting about the smoke.. one said "It looks like oil is burning on your muffler." and he also mentioned something about "rings?" ...I got the car for a good price knowing that I have to get this fix. Now, I brought the car to a local mechanic and have it looked at.. he told me it would cost $350-500 to get it fix. He mentioned that it is some oil problem and that it's not a big deal at all. I'm basically asking anyone that may know anything about this.. any information you can share would be really helpful and appreciated. What is a ring? Have you had this done to your car, If yes, what happened and how much did it cost you? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-05, 12:55 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Watch out for white smoke, Antifreeze. In some cases you may get oil burning white. Look at the spark plugs, are they wet? just like being washed off. If so its antifreeze.

Old 08-07-05, 01:03 PM
dstruk
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Do you know what causes the spark plugs to get wet? A leak maybe? what about the burning oil smell?

Old 08-07-05, 01:09 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
It maybe a cracked head sorry to say. After you confirm the condition of the plugs you will know for sure. Also maybe intake gasket.
Do a compression test to check the condition of the rings, if everything okay look at valve seals.

Old 08-07-05, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by dstruk
I brought the car to a local mechanic and have it looked at.. he told me it would cost $350-500 to get it fix. He mentioned that it is some oil problem and that it's not a big deal at all. ... What is a ring?
Is that what he told you, it needs new rings?

Old 08-07-05, 02:26 PM
dstruk
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately, I won't be able to have the time to bring the car to the mechanic until Tuesday. I'm going to check out the spark plugs later to check if it's wet. The mechanic I went to spoke very little english and he didn't mention if he was going to replace or just fix the rings. But he said he could take out the white smoke and the burning oil smell. He also mentioned that he did fix another 96 Eclipse a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. I really wish that I have a regular mechanic that I have history with. Other than that, I'm still looking at another option.. One is to bring it to another mechanic. Maybe Pepboys. I'm going to try to gather more informtion before I do anything with the car.

PS. Hey Jeff when you say cracked head... what do you mean? sounds really bad... Can you tell me a little bit more about it? What do I need to do if it is a cracked head? Thanks.

FYI: The smoke doesn't go off when i'm idle or when the car is already in motion. Smoke does come out when I first hit on the gas and when i'm trying to pick up the speed.

Last edited by dstruk; 08-07-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-07-05, 02:54 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
Does this car have a turbo?
Cracked head is not nice, needs replacement. It was just a suggestion, its worst case.
If you can get the rings fixed for about $500.00 hold him to the quote. Make sure he knows what he is doing, the whole motor has to come appart.
Originally Posted by dstruk
Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately, I won't be able to have the time to bring the car to the mechanic until Tuesday. I'm going to check out the spark plugs later to check if it's wet. The mechanic I went to spoke very little english and he didn't mention if he was going to replace or just fix the rings. But he said he could take out the white smoke and the burning oil smell. He also mentioned that he did fix another 96 Eclipse a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. I really wish that I have a regular mechanic that I have history with. Other than that, I'm still looking at another option.. One is to bring it to another mechanic. Maybe Pepboys. I'm going to try to gather more informtion before I do anything with the car.

PS. Hey Jeff when you say cracked head... what do you mean? sounds really bad... Can you tell me a little bit more about it? What do I need to do if it is a cracked head? Thanks.

FYI: The smoke doesn't go off when i'm idle or when the car is already in motion. Smoke does come out when I first hit on the gas and when i'm trying to pick up the speed.