Air conditioner won't stay cold

Old 08-08-05, 07:29 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
Air conditioner won't stay cold

When driving my 92 Buick Roadmaster on the open highway with the air conditioner on and blowing cold air I will start to get warm air blowing after while. If I turn the system off and turn it back on after a short period of time I will get cold again until it happens again. When driving in stop n' go traffic I am not as likely to have this happen. It seems as if the system is freezing up.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-05, 10:42 AM
Prolly hit the nail on the head, sounds like your evaporator is freezing up, likely low charge. Put some gauges on it you will be able to tell by the readings.

Old 08-10-05, 06:31 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
I should have added that the system was just recharged by my mechanic and has a sufficient charge. Could it be a recycle switch?

Old 08-10-05, 11:30 AM
If you had it charged, it may be you have to much high side pressure, causing the compressor to shut dow to avoid damage. Only real way to troubleshoot is with pressure readings. Recycle switch, if it is what I am thinking you mean, is just taking air from inside the cabin, not from the outside.

Old 08-12-05, 07:11 AM
ehoman
Visiting Guest
What should the pressure read on the high pressure side? The system was converted to R134.

Old 08-12-05, 10:40 AM
This only a "rule of thumb" so it may or may not apply to your situation.

With the a/c selected, fan on high:

High side should be approx. 2.5 x ambient temp of outside ( i.e.85x2.5=213lbs)
Low side anywhere between 22 to 40 lbs
Idle of car= about 1500-2000 rmp