Will a power inverter strain my electrical system?

Old 08-08-05, 11:31 AM
Will a power inverter strain my electrical system?

Howdy-

The iPod craze has lead to a rediculous stuation where car chargers cost $30 and indoor wall outlet chargers cost another $20. Funk that.

I saw a power inverter with 2 AC plugs for $20. I can probably find one for cheaper than that. I would then only need a wall charger for everything and would use the power inverter in the car.

Honda.com doesn't have a 'write the experts' email contact on anything I saw, so this is my next home. Does anybody have any information on whether or not these inverters will cause unnecessary wear and tear on my car's electrical system? I own a 1999 Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-05, 12:28 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
What type of inverter and specs. You shouldn't run in to a problem if all you are running is an ipod. I have seen little 100w inverters that plug into the cig lighter, you won't have a problem running this.
Originally Posted by Chrisatunc
Howdy-

The iPod craze has lead to a rediculous stuation where car chargers cost $30 and indoor wall outlet chargers cost another $20. Funk that.

I saw a power inverter with 2 AC plugs for $20. I can probably find one for cheaper than that. I would then only need a wall charger for everything and would use the power inverter in the car.

Honda.com doesn't have a 'write the experts' email contact on anything I saw, so this is my next home. Does anybody have any information on whether or not these inverters will cause unnecessary wear and tear on my car's electrical system? I own a 1999 Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan.

-Chris

Old 08-08-05, 01:07 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
as long as you get a small inverter you shouldnt have a problem with it straining the charging system

Old 08-08-05, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The little el cheapo invertors don't have much in the way of voltage regulation or filtering. I would try it out with engine off and running on a cheap radio etc. before plugging in a high priced electronic toy.

You might also check radio shack for Dc to Dc voltage convertors. They have several output voltages and plugs for different needs.

Old 08-08-05, 10:30 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
I had no problem running my portable DVD on a little $40.00 inverter.

Old 08-08-05, 10:52 PM
I picked up a refurbed 560W continuous, 700W max Xantrex inverter from Frys Electronics for $25 last week. They have stacks of them. **Stinkin good deal** on a very good inverter. There's not much to break on an inverter, so a refurb is fine. I tested my Hoover vacuum cleaner on it too--Works fine.

I also run on occasion a 1000W continuous Xantrex inverter for running some of my smaller power tools.

No issues with 'straining' the electrical system as long as you know how much power you're pulling out of your battery and for how long so you don't kill the battery. I'd be more concerned about the amps you pull through the cig lighter if you're running more than about 100W. Ipod consumption is nothing to worry about. You can sleep easy at night...

Search this Thread