1986 Honda Accord Exhaust Leak: Help!

Old 08-08-05, 06:44 PM
sanderspb
Visiting Guest
Arrow 1986 Honda Accord Exhaust Leak: Help!

undefinedundefinedI have a 1986 Honda Accord DX that has an exhaust leak.
Additional info: Sedan, Carburetor engine.
Does anybody know how I can find the leak and fix it myself. I don't have the money to put into this car to have someone fix it. Someone told me there was something called a liquid gasket that I could spray on it and it would harden and fill in the leak. Does such a thing exist? Someone Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-05, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by sanderspb
Someone told me there was something called a liquid gasket that I could spray on it and it would harden and fill in the leak. Does such a thing exist? Someone Help!
No (such thing as liquid magic). The leak should be easy enough to find, fixing it could be an entirely different matter.

Old 08-09-05, 11:26 AM
sanderspb
Visiting Guest
Question Finding exhaust leak

Originally Posted by pmgheritage
The leak should be easy enough to find, fixing it could be an entirely different matter.
Ok, I'll start with finding it. How? How can I find the leak myself? Does anybody have experience with this?

Old 08-09-05, 12:31 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
jack up teh car and go under it while its running, then listne for that infamous putputputput noise

Old 08-10-05, 01:20 PM
I use any one of two methods... either use a short length of scrap garden hose as a stethoscope or carefully wave your hand over suspect areas, feeling for hot puffs of air. Careful though, it's easy to seriously burn yourself if your hand touches the exhaust system.

Old 08-11-05, 10:12 PM
LexusES250
Visiting Guest
depends on how big the whole is.**** It's not going to be a permanent fix.**** They make wraps that wrap around the hole. JB Weld works in a pinch too. I know how it is to not be able to afford car repairs, and that's why I got into the business my self, and also the fact that I loved cars too

Old 08-12-05, 04:26 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
also what sometimes works is, if you go under and look, you may be able to find carbon build up around the leak area. this would be harder to see on clean running cars that are kept in tune. but on my track car, you can see huge spots of carbon build up at the leaks,