Side Post

Old 08-09-05, 12:57 PM
Unhappy Side Post

My dear sweet daughter just got T-boned. The post between the side doors is bent. The doors need replacing. 1996 ford Tauris SE, 103,000 miles but runs great. How do I streighten the post. So far, I have done all of the work on all of my cars myself so I am a bit of a boot-leg mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 06:30 PM
The correct way would be to anchor the car to the ground, or frame rack, and pull the B-pillar with hydraulics. You may be able to get it close to where it needs to be by using a port-a-power. This is a hydraulic ram with many extensions for use on different types of things. You can get them from Harbor Freight, and may be able to order them from auto parts stores. I recommend one that is rated at 10 tons or more, just for the fact that it is so versatile (sp).
You would place this unit between both B-pillars (down low on the good pilar to avoid jacking it out of shape) and easilly pump the ram and constantly checking your progress, and taking measurements. I don't know how severe the damage is, you may be better off letting the body shop just do the pull for you, then you can do the rest yourself. Its your choice to make. Good luck.

Old 08-10-05, 05:10 PM
port-a-power

MR> Dummas,

THnk you for your suggestion. I looked for a port-a-power at Harbor freight and could not find such a thing. Is this a brand name? I did find deveral hydraulic rams but I am trying to follow your suggestions.

Thanks

John Reeves

Old 08-10-05, 07:06 PM
Click on this link, you will see what it looks like:http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001071.html

Old 08-11-05, 07:10 AM
porta power

Thanks, it looks like fun.

signed
John Reeves (Masochist)

Old 08-11-05, 07:27 AM
Harbor Freight

Mr. Dumas,

Now that I know what I am looking for, I did find it at Harbor Freight. It is on sale for $99. Is the Central Hydraulics an acceptable brand name versis Porta Power? I have purchased so many Black and Decker tools (amd Mikita since B&D bought them) reciently that I have returned because they have failed, I and trying to be smart about this.

Thanks

Old 08-11-05, 07:40 AM
Yes, the Central Hydraulics one will be fine. The ones we use at work mostly are OTC, which generally cost a bit more money. Good luck John.

Search this Thread