1988 Plymouth Sundance help

Old 08-10-05, 06:25 AM
Barbhomeowner
Visiting Guest
1988 Plymouth Sundance help

It is a 4 cyl, 2 door hatchback, nonturbo... need a new water pump, how hard is it to install? do you think that $132 is too high for labor? I bought the part. Tks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 12:57 PM
sounds reasonable it is not a very easy pump to replace.

Old 08-10-05, 02:15 PM
Barbhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Tks, because money is tight, and Its a hard decision, and I really need this car!

Old 08-10-05, 03:24 PM
Best memory, the timing belt drives the water pump.. a 1988 model, unless you KNOW it's been changed, change it too, while you do the water pump...Assuming the pump IS timing belt driven, shouldn't be any extra labor, just the cost of the part...

Old 08-11-05, 04:39 AM
the pump is not driven by the timing belt on the 4 cylinders however they were on the v6.

Old 08-11-05, 02:34 PM
Barbhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Im kinda mad now, I called Pepboys to make arrangements, and to make sure the quote was right, well now they say they wont work on my car because the part isn't from there place. So I asked them if I got the part from them, and now they say it will cost me $286 to fix it... sheesh forget it. My car isnt even worth that much now. I guess I will just save for another car... thanks for all of ya'll help

Old 08-12-05, 05:39 PM
A 2.0 Sundance didn't come with a timing belt, and the water pump also acted as the timing belt tensioner, requiring a fairly large spanner-type wrench to turn?

Old 08-13-05, 01:11 AM
call around to different shops see if you can find one willing to install your part alot of shops do not install customers parts anymore, as parts the shop supplies and mark up is part of the way they make money they are a business after all.
2.2 and 2.5 both turbo and non turbo versions is the only 4 cylinder chrysler used in almost all its cars in 1988, general motors 2.0 or 1.8 engines like you may find in a pontiac sunbird the waterpump did act like a timing belt tensioner and turned to tighten or loosen belt perhaps that is the vehicle you are thinking of they both have sun in their name just different manufacturers.

Old 08-13-05, 03:04 PM
You'd think I'd learn to re-read these things before I post..Duh..
Plymouth..Plymouth.. NOT Pontiac...I applogize for my mis-leading post!!
What does drive the water pump on the 2.2 Sundance?

Old 08-13-05, 03:39 PM
just uses a drive belt, and if you was changing the timing belt your could replace the pump while your in there easy enough but if your just doing a pump which calls for alot less time any technician would pull the pump housing off the block and change the pump off the car and reinstall housing, so you can change the pump a couple of different ways on this model.

Old 08-15-05, 03:59 AM
Barbhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Well the guy that originally looked at my car said he'd install the water pump for $100, and recharge my battery at my home.... hopefully thats all that is wrong with that silly car! He seems to know whats he's doing(as if I know) hahaha. Gas is so high, now I'm wondering if it's worth to fix it...WOW!

Search this Thread