Chrysler Town & Country Rear Suspension Noise

Old 08-11-05, 07:26 AM
Question Chrysler Town & Country Rear Suspension Noise

I can't seem to find the cause of a noise coming from the right rear suspension. The noise usually comes in after I get off an exit ramp which is curved to the right. Hence the vehicle is leaning to the right during this turn. After this turn, the noise sounds like a rattle from the rear suspension which occurs both at highway speed as well as city speed of 25 to 35 mph. I have even noticed it, on speeds as low as 5 mph. Seems like a bounce/rattle in the rear. I have put in new shocks (Monroe SensorTrac), changed rear stabilizer bushings, changed rear stabilizer end links & installed new rear brakes with new wheel cylinders. I checked the bolts on the shocks and they are tight with no play in between the bolt and the clevis. The noise is somewhat loud and sounds like a "moan" when going at low speed on road with small bumps. Because this noise is not present all the time, I can't figure what could be causing it to come and go. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I've exhausted all ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-05, 06:37 PM
just for the heck of it, try switching that tire with the front one of that side.

Old 08-12-05, 04:40 AM
Thanks Shottys, but I did try taking my brand new spare tire and swapping it with the right rear. I tried this experiment last week, but still had the same problem. The interesting thing is that the noise is not there all the time even at highway speeds. I would have thought that a bad spring or shock would produce these symptoms all the time. I also checked the clearance between the jounce bumper and the bottom frame to make sure that it's not the jounce bumper that's causing the rattle. There is about 2 1/2"+ clearance. Is there anyway of testing and ruling the shock out as the cause besides completely replacing it?