Oil Disappearance

Old 08-11-05, 02:47 PM
pr5200
Visiting Guest
Oil Disappearance

I started my wife's 2001 Town Car one morning & the engine started knocking real bad. I shut it down immediately & checked the oil level. There was no oil showing on the stick so I added 5 qts. (This car was serviced by her Linclon dealer 3-4 weeks earlier.) She took it back to the dealer, they serviced it again & marked the stick for an oil consumption test. After 2500 miles, the car had used approx. 3/4 of a qt of oil, which according to them is normal. They had no answer when asked where the missing oil had gone. What do you think? The extended warranty is about to expire & I don't want to get stuck with a huge repair bill later on. Also, is it normal for a vehicle to use this much oil (3/4 qt in 2500 miles), or are they pulling our leg?

Thank you,
pr5200

Old 08-11-05, 06:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ah the classic my car is consuming oil stuff again and again and again like the energizer bunny. Every motor consumes oil some less than others. According to the manufactures this is normal. Especially for a V8 ford naturally aspirated, oil consumption usually hangs around that .5 quart to quart. Most of the oil gets burned off as blow by no mystery to where it went. there is 2 places for oil to go in a motor. The ground, or blow by.

So your chances of getting a motor is most likely none. plus extended warranties have tons of holes dealers use to get out of replacing motors.

Old 08-11-05, 08:08 PM
LexusES250
Visiting Guest
I know that even new Toyotas burn about one litre/ 1000 miles, so yes it could be true, and no offence being American I don't doubt that consumption. The thing to do is to look to see if you have a tight oil filter, and drain plug. Look for any signs of oil leaking underneath the vehicle. Add the necessary oil that you need to bring the level up to par. My Lexus w/180k only burns about 2 qts per oil change (3,750 miles ) Anyways be sure to check for signs of a tech forgetting to tighten something down. If that isn't the case than your vehicle is consuming

Old 08-12-05, 04:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
American V-8s
1 quart every 3000=normal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: