Cavalier Cooling Problem

Old 08-11-05, 03:39 PM
god8575
Visiting Guest
Cavalier Cooling Problem

About two weeks ago my 1996 chevy cavalier Z24. Started to overheat while sitting still and would cool down once I was moving. This tells me it has something to do with the fan. So I checked the fan motor, good, and also changed the Engine coolant temp switch thinking that would fix it. Does anybody know of anything else that would cause. What about the water pump but wouldn't the water pump being bad make it overheat moving or not.

Also is there a way I might be able to hook the fan up to a toggle switch if its found to have faulty wiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-05, 06:19 PM
You replace the radiator cap. is it the 2.2 or the 2.4

Old 08-11-05, 06:37 PM
Is the fan working when the engine is hot? They normally cycle on and off as the temp goes up and down. If it's not turning on when the engine is warm to hot, check the fan fuse and relay. The car might also be designed to keep the fan on whenever the A/C is on, regaurdless of the engine temp.
Also check the coolant level if you haven't done so already.

Old 08-11-05, 06:41 PM
Good point i interpreted checking fan, as the electrical system all the way from the relay to the fan as good.

Old 08-11-05, 06:54 PM
god8575
Visiting Guest
If have checked the fan relays and fuses, now on replacing the radiator cap I don't think mine has one it just has the top to the resevoir. And its a 2.4 it does not work when the engine is hot.