1988 Pontiac Grand Am Trans

Old 08-11-05, 07:08 PM
Question 1988 Pontiac Grand Am Trans

on my grand am, the trans seem like it is slipping and when i have to really step on it the car starts to putts and backfire, replaced the sparks plugs , wires, air filter, trans filter and oil, but now the trans oil in brown burnt. could it be the clutch, a the sensor, ANY IDEAS HELP PLEASE

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 09:46 PM
Does the oil smell burnt. If so it is possible that the trans overheated and the as result it is possible that one of more of the clutches have burnt. Does it slip in all gear ranges on just one of them. On the other hand slipping can also be caused by other things like low line pressure or a shift valve not engaging. A transmission place should be able to perform some basic checks and let you know what the problem may be. Automatics transmission do contain parts that wear over time (clutch disc linings and also the friction linings on the bands) and so a rebuilt will be needed one day eventually.

I would start by draining the transmission fluid and and inspecting the filter & pan magnet for debris like metal shaving or worn clutch material. Worn clutch merial should be found on the magnet (looks like grey fluff). If there is an excessive amount or you see particles floating in the fluid then unfortunately it may be rebuild time. If you are lucky and the slipping is due to dirty fluid the change may fix the problem.

Old 08-12-05, 11:10 PM
i found out the slipping was beening caused by one of my spark plug wires not connected all the way, but now when i have to really step on it the engine starts to putt, like its out of gas

Old 08-12-05, 11:21 PM
Sounds to me like the problem is with the engine rather than the transmission. If the problem was in the transmission the engine should run fine. The only situation where the tranny may be involved is if it has a torque converter clutch that is refusing to disengage. Do you have the problem with the transmission in "P" or "N". If you do then it is more likely to be engine than the transmission. Sounds like a fuel problem to me.

Old 08-13-05, 04:47 AM
when the car is in P or N it runs fine, i can put the pedal to the floor and no problem, but when its in drive then it starts acting up, guy at work said it might be the fuel pump because it a takes awhile to start

Old 08-13-05, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
on my grand am, the trans seem like it is slipping and when i have to really step on it the car starts to putts and backfire, replaced the sparks plugs , wires, air filter, trans filter and oil, but now the trans oil in brown burnt. could it be the clutch, a the sensor, ANY IDEAS HELP PLEASE

is it worth fixing the flywheel and clutch, motor runs great but the flywheel is craked and the clutch is shot

Old 08-13-05, 11:46 PM
Is this an automatic or manual transmission. I initally got the impression that it was an automatic but now you mention the clutch so I'm not really sure what you've got there.

Old 08-14-05, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by rav12
Is this an automatic or manual transmission. I initally got the impression that it was an automatic but now you mention the clutch so I'm not really sure what you've got there.

it's a auto but a guy at auto zone said it is the clutch plate and flywheel

Old 08-14-05, 11:24 AM
Not sure what the guy is talking about. Most autos have more than one clutch. The clutches are internal to the transmission and you cannot see which one is faulty without taking the tranny apart. That said soneone who understands how trannys work and is either familiar with your tranny or who has the service manual can figure out which clutch(es) may be the problem. This assuming that this is actually the problem. As for the cracked flywheel - unless you can see the crack you cannot really be sure. I know someone who was told he had a cracked flywheel. When they took it apart it was not cracked. Even a damaged torque converter should be able to at least get you moving slowly.

It you have a TCC and it is not releasing the car may stall when you put it into gear. If you can rev the engine a bit with one foot and then move the gear into drive and the car moves off OK then it may be a TCC problem. Maybe this is the clutch he is talking about?

Old 08-14-05, 11:40 AM
Not sure what the guy is talking about. Most autos have more than one clutch. The clutches are internal to the transmission and you cannot see which one is faulty without taking the tranny apart. That said soneone who understands how trannys work and is either familiar with your tranny or who has the service manual can figure out which clutch(es) may be the problem. This assuming that this is actually the problem. As for the cracked flywheel - unless you can see the crack you cannot really be sure. I know someone who was told he had a cracked flywheel. When they took it apart it was not cracked. Even a damaged torque converter should be able to at least get you moving slowly.

It you have a TCC and it is not releasing the car may stall when you put it into gear. If you can rev the engine a bit with one foot and then move the gear into drive and the car moves off OK then it may be a TCC problem. Maybe this is the clutch he is talking about?
ya if i hold the gas down a little then i have no problem taking off, but when i come to a stop i have to put the car in neture or it dies. when i do get it moving i hear a load chunking noise diff pattern evrything time, and it not always doing it. i took my sparks out to see if there was any oil in there because maybe a pision rod broke, spark plug 1 have some oil on it, and my air filter(brand new) is covered in oil

Old 08-14-05, 02:03 PM
That sounds like the torque converter clutch in that case. This clutch is usually engaged above a certain speed to lock the impellor and turbine of the torque converter together. You will get better gas milage but is not an essential feature. You should be able to simply disconnect the solenoid wiring to the TCC to prevent it from engaging. This will at least keep you moving for now. You can maybe have it fixed at some point. I don't know much about your specific tranny but if you can get hold of someone who may know or get the service manual for you tranny (ATSG or ATRA probably sell one) and see how to do this.

As for the other problem - I guess that what they diagnosed as the cracked flywheel. I think the test for a cracked flywheel is to drive the car at low speed and then turn in the engine off. If you hear a thud it is probably a cracked flywheel. I think this is the test - maybe someone else here may shed more light on it.

Old 08-14-05, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=rav12]That sounds like the torque converter clutch in that case. This clutch is usually engaged above a certain speed to lock the impellor and turbine of the torque converter together. You will get better gas milage but is not an essential feature. You should be able to simply disconnect the solenoid wiring to the TCC to prevent it from engaging. This will at least keep you moving for now. You can maybe have it fixed at some point. I don't know much about your specific tranny but if you can get hold of someone who may know or get the service manual for you tranny (ATSG or ATRA probably sell one) and see how to do this.[QUOTE]

would you have any clue where that is and how to disconnect it

Old 08-14-05, 06:01 PM
Sorry - no idea at all. From one of the cross refs I've used for tracking down tranny model nos you car should have a GM TH125 tranny. Unfortunately I have one book that covers servicing some models of tranny and this one is not included. I only have this book and the service manual for my own tranny. I also cannot see the manual listed in the ATSG or ATRA bookstores. I would suggest contacting ATSG (www.atsgmiami.com) and asking them what manual you need and then order it from them (will be about $20 I think), in case no one you know can tell you how to do this.

You can also try searching the google newsgroup and see if anyone has posted info on how to do this for your car.

Old 08-14-05, 10:20 PM
Sorry - no idea at all. From one of the cross refs I've used for tracking down tranny model nos you car should have a GM TH125 tranny. Unfortunately I have one book that covers servicing some models of tranny and this one is not included. I only have this book and the service manual for my own tranny. I also cannot see the manual listed in the ATSG or ATRA bookstores. I would suggest contacting ATSG (www.atsgmiami.com) and asking them what manual you need and then order it from them (will be about $20 I think), in case no one you know can tell you how to do this.

You can also try searching the google newsgroup and see if anyone has posted info on how to do this for your car.
Ok Thanks For All Your Help

Old 08-15-05, 06:27 AM
Does Anyone Know Anything About This Trans 3t40

Old 08-17-05, 02:07 PM
I can help you with the 125-c (3T40 transmission). If this pertains to the location of the TCC wiring harness I believe I have already answered your question, let me know if you need more help.

Old 08-17-05, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by jaws
I can help you with the 125-c (3T40 transmission). If this pertains to the location of the TCC wiring harness I believe I have already answered your question, let me know if you need more help.

Thanks For The Help

Old 08-18-05, 02:51 AM
this car has alot of problems from the sound of it and may not even be worth fixing, suggest running compression on the engine if you have a cylinder thats low on compression it will not idle very good at lower rpm and will likely die when in gear.
you may not even have a transmission problem suggest you check the engine out better first see what it needs to get the engine running ok or you could have a shop check it over to find out whats wrong.

Old 08-18-05, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
this car has alot of problems from the sound of it and may not even be worth fixing, suggest running compression on the engine if you have a cylinder thats low on compression it will not idle very good at lower rpm and will likely die when in gear.
you may not even have a transmission problem suggest you check the engine out better first see what it needs to get the engine running ok or you could have a shop check it over to find out whats wrong.

the engine runs fine, it was the TCC killing it, but thanks for helping

Old 08-18-05, 07:40 AM
your welcome! Thats what it all about "people helping people"

Old 08-18-05, 08:43 AM
yes it is, thats what makes the world better

Search this Thread