Remote starter installed

Old 08-13-05, 05:53 PM
Remote starter installed

I just had a remote starter installed. The unit works fine, except on a hill. (Car facing uphill) The car always has and still does start fine with the key on a hill. Does anybody know why that may be? My car has a factory alarm system and I thought the car (Hyundai) may have a mercury switch in the ignition line somewhere. The installer may of attached it in on the wrong side of the switch. Do these remote starter systems have a mercury switch in their control modules?

I'm going to take it back to the installer next week but I thought this may be a common issue which somebody else may of experienced. I hope it is something fixable because this remote start thing is kinda cool, I hate to have them take it out because of this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 05:53 AM
Question. Are you saying that the car will not start on a hill, using the remote, even when you are 10 feet away from the car?

Old 08-15-05, 05:11 AM
Remote start on a hill

Yes that is correct. When the car is pointing up hill, it will NOT start via the remote. It will start with a key from the same position. I can be sitting in the car using the remote or standing next to it with the remote, it does not even engage the starter or go any further in it's startup procedure.

Old 08-15-05, 05:15 AM
What type of reciever does your remote starter use? Does it have the nice windshield antenna or does it have a underdash dangling wire antenna? If underdash, then be sure the wire is not touching a ground somewhere.

Old 08-15-05, 05:17 AM
Winshield mount

It is attached to the windshield behind the rear view mirror. The unit is a Crimestopper.

Old 08-15-05, 05:45 AM
I can think of no reason for the car to not start when on a hill, having eliminated the antenna.

Old 08-15-05, 07:03 PM
srd91754
Visiting Guest
The remote starter on my 96 Jeep has a pin switch located under the hood to keep it from activating while the hood is open. Yours may have a similar pin switch and with the car pointing uphill the hood may shift enough to activate the pin switch. This would cause the symptoms you describe.

//If it's stuck, force it, if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway//

Old 08-16-05, 04:57 AM
The cause of my frustration

I found out that the installer did not use a pin switch under the hood to keep the car from starting accidentally. He used a mercury switch. I needed to bend the mercury switch a little so it would not activate on an uphill incline but would still activate when the hood was opened on a flat surface.

I'm not sure I like this idea as the car could still start accidentally if the car was pointing downhill and the hood was open. I may take it back into him and have him put in a pin switch.