car cranks over when connecting battery

Old 10-31-13, 11:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
car cranks over when connecting battery

On Wednesday after driving a 1999 chevy prism for a few(ran fine) stopped for about an hour so drove home car had died on me lost power and battery light came on. Got car towed home next day I replaced battery when I did car started to crank but not start with key not in ignition, put when turned key it started and fired up, I thought the solenoid in starter stuck open replaced same thing disconnected ignition switch connected battery same thing car would crank over. put everything back together, took out starter relay connected battery finally would not crank over bought new relay when connected battery car once again started to crank over.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-13, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your starter was engaging by itself and you turned the key on to start the engine ?!?!?!?!
Your lucky you didn't blow the starter up.

Your problem doesn't sound like the starter relay it sounds more like a stuck starter solenoid. It may be an internal linkage problem in the bendix gear.

Old 10-31-13, 03:47 PM
S
it was original starter didn't do with new one didn't want to ruin I have sneaky suspension its a wire that is frayed or so leading to starter raining now can't check out no garage but I will keep in mind thanks for the input

Old 10-31-13, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
All the wires to the starter are positive(+) wires so if you had shorts or a frayed wire you would have some sparks, smoke or a blown fuse.

Old 10-31-13, 08:54 PM
S
didn't see any blown fuses but did smell burning of some sort which leads me to me a wire that is somehow connected to starter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: