Bad A/C on 95' Dodge Caravan

Old 08-14-05, 03:18 AM
Unhappy Bad A/C on 95' Dodge Caravan

Hi!!
I'm swetting and the A/C on my 95' Dodge Caravan 3.0 -98,000k in it- does not work any more!
It just start during a trip a couple of weeks ago. It was working fine, then it started to blow warm air combined with cold, I meant the cold air was getting warmer 'till there is no more cool air coming out, besides there is a hissig noise there I can hear comig out from down the dashboard every time the compresor kicks in. Clutch engages, fan works; compresor works kind of noise (rough) obviously diferent than before and also the first and second temperature settings don't work, just the medium and high; I'm gessing it's a bad resistor block -not sure
Like a year and a half ago one of my kids nocked a phone pole with that van -while learning to drive- , no mayor damage, but, A/C coil at front of radiator got bend, no licks no blocage, no broken pipes, so didn't replace; don't know if it has something to do with what it's doing now, but, it may help to post it

If someone has any advise, it'll be very much appreciated

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Last edited by guanaco; 08-14-05 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Change font
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 05:11 PM
The fan working on only select settings (as long as it is at least working on high) would definately indicate the blower motor resistor is the culprit. The hissing noise could be from any number of things. It could be foreign material in the box. You could have a low refrigerant charge and thats not allowing it to cool properly. You should get it checked to see what that is.
Good Luck with it.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 08-14-05, 07:41 PM
The hissing noise in Chrysler vehicles is from being low on refrigerant. Somewhere you developed a leak. It could be very slow, and has been going on for a while, or it could be something new. Take it to a shop that can use a UV dye to find the leak and fix it.

Michael

Old 08-16-05, 02:34 PM
Arrow

Is there any way I could recharge the system my self?

Old 08-16-05, 07:59 PM
Honestly, if you have to ask that question then the answer is no. It takes experience and knowledge of the system to do it correctly. Since you seem to have a leak the only right thing to do is to find the leak and replace the leaking part and then recharging the system properly. A/C work is dangerous to the novice due to extreme pressures in the system.
There are freon cans you can buy with a hose already attached to top off your system, but if you have a leak its only going to get worse. Do not use anything that says it has stop leak additives in it. You will end up spending more than if you take it in right now because those additives can cause damage to other components.
Good Luck with it.
hope this helps ya,
Billy

Search this Thread