1991 honda accord tranny problem

Old 08-16-05, 06:13 AM
cindyjsw
Visiting Guest
1991 honda accord tranny problem

I have a 1991 Honda accord automatic transmission. When driving in automatic skips 2nd and goes from 1st to 3rd. When you put in 2nd manually it works. Anyone else experienced this? I have been told everything from replace tranny to control module problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-05, 11:55 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
does the TCU throw any error codes?

Old 08-16-05, 05:18 PM
cindyjsw
Visiting Guest
Error codes

Haven't got to check that yet. The S light flashes.

Old 08-16-05, 08:19 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
i suggest you pull the code and go from there, sounds like theres something electrical going on.

on the 90-93 accords, the TCUs have this chip in it that likes to burn it, it is very common, if u have time maybe open up the tcu and just take a look around to see if anything in there is burnt.

Old 08-17-05, 04:07 AM
cindyjsw
Visiting Guest
Thank you I will try that.

Old 08-17-05, 08:14 AM
I very much doubt you need a new tranny. The fact that you can get 2 by manually shifting into 2 says that the planetary gearset and associated hydraulic controls such as bands, servos, clutches etc - are functioning. So the problem could be either in the control module, one or more sensor(s) going to the control module, or a problem with a shift solenoid. The solenoids ae inside the tranny but in many trannies you can remove them without taking the tranny out. I would suggest some simple checks first like the wiring from the control module to the tranny, checking the error code (if there is one) etc. From personal experience the error codes don't always to you the real problem.

A good transmission place should be able to diagnose the problem fairly accurately without guessing - they have test boxes to simulate the control module etc.

Old 08-17-05, 10:16 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
actually on that honda accord tranny, the solenoid can be easily replaced as it is bolted on the outside , i remember knocking mine off when i was removing the tranny, heh