91 chevy truck windshield wiper problem

Old 08-16-05, 10:20 PM
ryndel
Visiting Guest
91 chevy truck windshield wiper problem

I have an odd problem with the windshiled wipers on my 91 chevy half ton. After the wipers have been turned on, sometimes they wont turn off. They stay stuck in the "low" speed. Also, sometimes the variable speeds wont work and it goes to "low" speed and stays there. You can change to high speed then back to low and that works ok. But when you turn the wipers to off, they will randomly decide to stop(sometimes halfway up).

Im not quite sure how to troubleshoot this issue. It seems like the actual wiper motors are fine, since they are still moving the wiper arms. So I thought it might be the wiper pulse controller? Someone else suggested the relay in the steering column? Any ideas???

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-05, 07:02 AM
Doesn't sound like a relay. Probably, yet another, they should recall every one of them. GM multi function switch.

Old 08-17-05, 07:36 AM
ryndel
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by shottys
Doesn't sound like a relay. Probably, yet another, they should recall every one of them. GM multi function switch.

where is that switch? is it just where the wiper/turn signal arm goes in to the steering column?

Old 08-17-05, 08:15 AM
Yep and be sitting down when you get the price of that just to for warn you from any kind of injury inflicted when fainting is possible.

Old 08-17-05, 11:55 AM
ryndel
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by shottys
Yep and be sitting down when you get the price of that just to for warn you from any kind of injury inflicted when fainting is possible.
Ugh. I assume youre talking about this:

Part. 25111408 DEL Turn Signal/Wiper Switch $81.99

Old 08-17-05, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by ryndel
I have an odd problem with the windshiled wipers on my 91 chevy half ton. After the wipers have been turned on, sometimes they wont turn off. They stay stuck in the "low" speed. Also, sometimes the variable speeds wont work and it goes to "low" speed and stays there. You can change to high speed then back to low and that works ok. But when you turn the wipers to off, they will randomly decide to stop(sometimes halfway up).

Im not quite sure how to troubleshoot this issue. It seems like the actual wiper motors are fine, since they are still moving the wiper arms. So I thought it might be the wiper pulse controller? Someone else suggested the relay in the steering column? Any ideas???

thanks in advance!
Try this.
How to repair GM intermittent wipers,before starting pull the wiper fuse or disconnect the battery.Disconnect the electrical plug from the motor,remove the screws holding module to the motor assembly.Remove the module from the motor assy,you may have to pry it loose with a flat blade screwdriver where it plugs into the motor.Now where the plug attaches to the circuit board there are 5 soldered pins,if you look with a magnifying glass you will see the cracked solder,I resolder all five pins.Use a large enough solder gun to get a good melt,I also add some fresh solder with some electrical flux.Reverse assy.

Old 08-18-05, 08:18 AM
ryndel
Visiting Guest
I should also note that my washer fluid doesnt work either. No spray, no sounds. I think this might be related.

Old 08-19-05, 05:57 PM
GM has a recall on some of their truck wipers failing(safety issue) check alldata and such,or call your chevy dealer.

Old 08-20-05, 07:40 PM
spiderx421
Visiting Guest
Replace the wiper motor circuit board. as said previously, its held on by 3 screws on front of the motor. I work at a Chevy dealer, we replaced them all the time.

Old 08-21-05, 12:12 PM
Ha Ha the infamous what should i replace. Both things are common probolems, is it the board or the multifunction switch. Both always go. Further testing is necessary.

ryndel and if you think $82 for a switch isn't expensive your probably a millionare and its peddy cash