'01 Civic "Maint. Req'd" Light On - help?

Old 08-19-05, 09:09 AM
'01 Civic "Maint. Req'd" Light On - help?

My "Maint. Req'd" light has been on for about 25,000 miles. Is there some process to get this to turn off? '01 Honda Civic.

Thanks,

-Woostah

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-05, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Take it somewhere and have it scanned for codes. You have a problem that needs to be addressed. Plus, the light can only be reset with a scanner. Post the codes here and we'll see what you've got. Try your nearest Auto Zone; they'll do it for free (hoping you'll buy the repair parts from them, of course).

Old 08-20-05, 11:13 AM
Or bring it to the dealer, it's only got 25K miles, it should still be under warranty provided you didn't do any engine mods (I mean it is a Honda Civic, right?).

Old 08-20-05, 11:14 AM
Whoops, I read that wrong. The light has been on for the PAST 25K miles. That's crazy! What say you do something about that TODAY?

Old 08-20-05, 07:35 PM
spiderx421
Visiting Guest
The maintenence required light means your car is due for service. ie: oil change, ect. Check you're owners manual but I believe there is a reset button under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. If your "check engine" light is on then you must go to a repair shop to have it checked out and reset. "maintenece required" is just that- a reminder.

Old 08-22-05, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, I read it wrong, too. I got the 25k part, but was thinking "check engine".

Old 08-24-05, 08:32 AM
Thanks, all.

Yeah, it's just the MAINT REQ'D light, not the CHECK ENGINE light. It goes on automatically once you pass 35K, then 50K miles. It blinks for the first 5K after those milestones, then stays on because they want you to get the 35K and 50K full service at the dealer. They got me for $350 at 35K and I didn't want to do it again at 50K.

I'll try to find that reset button, but I don't remember the manual mentioning it. I thought they try to hide it from you so you have to see the dealer. That's why I turned to you all :-)

If I can't find it, it'll stay on for another few thou miles until I can get it in somewhere... such is the state of my financial affairs.

-Woostah

Old 08-24-05, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator

Search this Thread