Is engine braking better than using the pedal brakes?

Old 08-19-05, 11:47 AM
shoptoby
Visiting Guest
Is engine braking better than using the pedal brakes?

My friend and I made a bet (with money). I say that using the pedal brakes to slow down is better than than down shifting with the manual transmission because I would rather replace the brake pads than wear out the engine prematurely.

My friend says their isn't hardly any wear on the engine that is properly lubricated with standard oil changes. Most of the wear to the engine comes from starting the car up. So he says I'm wasting my money replacing the brakes more often.

Who's right?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-05, 01:04 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are correct

Old 08-19-05, 01:11 PM
D
I would agree with you also. Changing break pad and time is easier and cheaper than fixing a failure clutch/gear in transmission.

Old 08-20-05, 09:59 AM
T
I was always told engine braking is better then using the "regular" breaks.

If it's so bad, why do all the trucks use engine braking?

Old 08-20-05, 10:54 AM
S
Originally Posted by trinitro
If it's so bad, why do all the trucks use engine braking?
That's different
Those trucks are really really heavy and very difficult to stop

Old 08-21-05, 03:54 AM
whokaresiv
Visiting Guest
Being in the trucking industry for over 30 yrs. you guys are forgetting alot of factors. If a vehicle is rear wheel drive in bad weather engine braking iS much safer because you keep your steering control. Foot pedal braking tends to loose steering control as the wheels lock up. Front wheel drive cars its a different story because gearing down with the shifter tends to have the rear end come around on you. With the increase addition of ABS on vehicle you can throw all the above out the window. USE THE FOOT BRAKE.

Old 08-21-05, 05:24 AM
S
Originally Posted by whokaresiv
If a vehicle is rear wheel drive in bad weather engine braking iS much safer because you keep your steering control.
A good point
I engine brake my 5.0 Mustang in the snow
I don't touch the brake unless I have to
And then it's very, very, gently

But in general, most vehicles are not as bad as my Mustang in the snow
Most are front drive, and most of the time we drive in decent conditions
Most modern braking systems work very well

Anyone that learned to drive on the old-school 4 wheel non-power assist drums also learned to engine brake
You also took your following distance very seriously
You needed all the help you could get with those

Old 08-21-05, 12:08 PM
S
I also want to point out another reason why you shouldn't use engine braking. It puts a load of stress on the entire drive train from the differential to the engine. my 15year old car with 4 wheel drive doesn't care for the shift of the direction of forces on the drivetrain. especially with tired old diffs and u-joints. Also if you have a carburated car you are just going to waste gas. Some fuel injected cars will cut fuel to the engine while engine braking.

One plus to engine braking is that if you do it and have the a/c running you are basically not going to get lower gas mileage when engine braking with the a/c on so if you live in colorado or something you can basically have free air conditioning in your vehicle when going down a hill using engine braking.

Old 08-21-05, 01:03 PM
shoptoby
Visiting Guest
excellant comments, thank you!

Old 08-22-05, 03:05 PM
J
Funny, nobody commented that when engine braking, assuming you are also gearing down, you are also prematurely wearing out the clutch, and in some cars, especially the front wheel drivers, that can be a costly item.
Use your own discretion, depending upon different situations.

Old 08-23-05, 11:01 AM
S
i can down shift so quickly and i bearly tap the clutch, that makes that point to argueable, if you have an amature or newbie down shifting it yes you will put excessive wear on the clutch