Goofy tranny on , you guessed it, 97 Taurus

Old 08-20-05, 07:47 PM
zalmaxiss
Visiting Guest
Goofy tranny on , you guessed it, 97 Taurus

Hi,
First post here! I have a question on a 97 Ford Taurus transmission. This car jerked real hard at a stop light, then the car wouldnt move, engine just revs. Make a long story short, we took it to a mechanic friend. He said tranny is shot, 2000 bucks to replace it. This car was towed back and forth from mechanics to my house. Fast forward a month of it sitting in my driveway. I start it up today, put it in drive for funnies and it works! What the?? Works like nothing was ever wrong with it.
I am still sure it is the tranny, just dont know what on it, it could be. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-20-05, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch?
What Color Is The Trans Oil?

Old 08-21-05, 08:28 AM
zalmaxiss
Visiting Guest
Trans oil looks fine, level is right where it should be at. This is an auto transmission.

Old 08-21-05, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has a couple of clutches, could be the flywheel or toque converter

Old 08-21-05, 04:44 PM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
Tranny

Foward clutch assy. very common problen on them , chances are good it will do it to you again somewhere , usually when they quit thats it.

Old 08-22-05, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts
And a cold tranny will often work until it heats up. I would suggest you drive it until it dies for good and then drop it off at the nearest recycler for about $50/ton; about what it was worth when it rolled off the FoMoCo assembly line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: