Do oil additives like Slick 50 among others?

Old 08-21-05, 12:03 AM
shoptoby
Visiting Guest
Do oil additives like Slick 50 among others?

Do they really help?

Old 08-21-05, 02:05 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
most dont, imo just perform regular oil changes and you shoudl be fine

Old 08-21-05, 05:09 AM
whokaresiv
Visiting Guest
Save your money and put towards your gas tank!

Old 08-21-05, 06:07 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoptoby
Do they really help?
Well, help what?
Mostly they help the manufacturers wallet get fatter
lol
Most don't really hurt, and could help a little
But it depends on what you are trying to do
If you just want a little extra protection for your engine, there are way cheaper additives than Slick 50
Stick with a $2 bottle of STP

Old 08-21-05, 02:23 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slick 50 does absolutely nothing to help the engine and in some rare cases can actually harm the engine. Just use straight oil and no extra additives to keep your engine in top condition.

Old 08-21-05, 02:34 PM
shoptoby
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great advice!

Old 08-21-05, 02:36 PM
S
Old 08-21-05, 04:32 PM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
Junk

I've been a Mechanic for over 30 yrs, ASE Certified, I've done Auto , Heavy Truck ( tractor , trailer - 18, wheelers ) , Heavy Equipment , Caterpillar , John Deere,, An to answer your question NO , this stuff is the modern day equal to Snake Oil, I;ve never seen a Mechanic in a Can fix any thing , but sure has gummed up alot of engines. Just change your oil an filter on a regular basis like 3000, miles an you will be good to go. -- Oh an try not to mix differnt oils if possible.,, An please spend the extra 3 bucks an get a filter , I know you have ppl telling to skip the filter till every other oil change --GEEESSSSH.I have one Ford truck , a 1985 with 386,000 miles on it son took it from me , I;ve got a TownCar , my other son took its a 89 , with 230,000 miles An the youngest boy took my 93 Bronco, it has roughly 190,000, an finally I drive 89 Ford E150 van with 168,000, ( the van I got used 4 yrs ago so dont know the whole story on it ), But the other vechiles except the 85 had a timing chain replaced at 200,000, Have had no MAJOR work done on them , the usually starter , battery , head lits, belts , tires ,( MAN I WISH I KNEW HOW MUCH GAS ) Just reg oil changes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-05, 05:53 PM
davel42
Visiting Guest
And also, never,Never add such a thing as stop leak to your radiator or worse, the type that claims to repair your seals in engine or transmission.
They will plug the leaks as well as plug the oil passages.

Old 08-21-05, 06:23 PM
S
Originally Posted by davel42
And also, never,Never add such a thing as stop leak to your radiator or worse, the type that claims to repair your seals in engine or transmission.
They will plug the leaks as well as plug the oil passages.

So ya stop leak for engine oil is nothing more than an oil with a very very high concentration of seal swellers.

but the radiator one has some backing to it

Old 08-21-05, 07:56 PM
davel42
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by shottys
So ya stop leak for engine oil is nothing more than an oil with a very very high concentration of seal swellers.

but the radiator one has some backing to it
Not quite so. I made the mistake of adding a stop leak for engine seals and it contained a metalic substance that stated it would rebuild worn parts. It did. At a cost of two grand. Wiped out mains and cam. Oil passages for cam plugged tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: