replacing O2 sensor

Old 08-21-05, 12:44 PM
replacing O2 sensor

I have a 1997 ford taurus, 3.0L 6V (not an SHO). My service engine light came on and when I scanned it, the code read "P0133 O2 Sensor CKT Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)". The guy at autozone made it sound like a simple thing to replace the O2 sensor and gave me a brochure on how to do it. Even though I don't know anything about cars, I am considering trying to do it myself since getting a mechanic to do it will probably cost much more. I looked up my cars engine and found a schematic of where things are located. However, the schematic shows two HO2S sensor and some other sensors (ie camshaft sensor). I figure I will probably need to replace one of the HO2S sensors (since this is the only sensor with the word oxygen in its title) but how do I know which one? One of them is labelled "C1008 Heated Oxygen Sensor (H02S) #11" and the other is "C137 Heated Oxygen Sensor (H02S) #21".

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by daufoi
(Bank 1 Sensor 1)".

Find cylinder 1 the sensor is on that part of the exhaust, and it is the sensor before the cat, yes this is easy to do and you will most likely need and o2 sensor socket.

bank number tells what side of the v motor's exhaust to look at.

(bank 1 V bank 2) the V is the motor front view probably not for your car just an example of what i mean. Your spark plug wires is oem will have cylinder number on them. I am not a ford fan so i don't know which side cylinder one is. I do recall from when i looked it up for does things all screwed up.

sensor number states wheather before cat(1) or after(2).

Old 08-21-05, 01:55 PM
number one cylinder is on the back bank the closest head to the firewall.

Old 08-21-05, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by shottys
that part of the exhaust,
Does this mean it's not under the hood but in the rear of the car?

Like I said, I know nothing of cars so most of what you said went over my head. Under the hood, most wires were not labelled (everything is oem) except for some lighter colored wires that led to a rectangular box that sits next to where the engine oil is added. Those are labelled 1,2,3...

Old 08-21-05, 06:51 PM
cylinders 1,2, and 3 is on bank one, cylinders 4,5, and 6 is on bank 2.
bank one is the rear bank the one closest to the firewall if you follow the exhuast {starting at the engine} on that bank to the 1st o2sensor you come to it would be bank one, sensor one which is the one you need to replace.
some vehicles you can change the sensor under the hood some are easier to change from underneath vehicle.

Search this Thread