Removing rear brake drums on 97 Ford Aerostar

Old 08-21-05, 09:19 PM
Question Removing rear brake drums on 97 Ford Aerostar

I have a 1997 Aerostar 3.0 L. I wanted to remove the rear drums to check the shoes but am lost as to how they come off. The Chilton repair manual speak of removing 3 retaining nuts after removing the wheel but I can't see any retaining nuts. The drum is not loose either.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 02:26 PM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
Brakes

The retaining nuts, -- If the rear drums have never been removed there 3 very thin lil pices of metal slid over the std, that holds the drum in place at the factory , Usually the best way to get them off is with a screwdriver,an a pair of plires or side cutters , Then Throw them away, Their not needed a one time use deal , Drums - First make sure the park brake is released, get a hammer an smack the drum several times to free it up , Then you should be able to pull it off by hand, ( you might want a dust mask doing this ), An then if the drum is still tight, You will have to back the brake shoes off ,, You will need a brake spoon adjuster , Cheap like $6.00 bucks , an a small screw driver to insert along with the spoon to release the adj. lock , So you can back the adj. off,,, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!

Old 08-25-05, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Ramrod
I'll have another shot at it. I don't recall seeing thin pieces of metal but didn't look that close.

I do believe the brakes were replaced about 5 yrs ago when we purchased the van.

Thanks

Old 08-27-05, 09:04 AM
just had similar experience with another ford. finally had to totally unscrew the brakeadjuster on the back of the brake plate till it fell apart, then using a sledge, nudge the drum off. turns out the emergency brake shoes were completely down to metal, rust really. hard job, but persistence pays off.