What could be draining my battery?

Old 08-23-05, 01:08 PM
trinity082482
Visiting Guest
What could be draining my battery?

I was headed for work and my car wouldn't start. No energy at all. Great my battery is dead. I waited for my bf to get home off his shift and he boosted it. Yah! It runs! It been 7 hours and I went back out to the car to run some errands and its dead again. I checked to see if I left the lights on and they were off. Hmmm

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 01:29 PM
Looks to me either you need a new battery or the alternator isn't working. When did you have this battery? A battery normally last around 6-8 years depending on the brand and quality. I would go from checking battery first. You can have your battery checked by any auto parts store for free. Good Luck!

Old 08-23-05, 07:36 PM
if its not a bad battery it could be anything in the car that is electrical draining it, and takes quite some time to figure out what device is draining battery if it is a really slow discharge. best way to test this is pull the fuses one by one measure for current make a chart and look for anything unusual for a car that is off. you may want some one with electrical experience to do this, because if you can;t read schematics to correct the problem your basically in the dark on how to trouble shoot a circuit to

Old 08-24-05, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Jump it off again and drive to just about any garage or parts store. They'll check the battery and charging system usually for free as diyman said. Of course they sort of expect you to buy their battery if yours is bellied up.

Diyman, what part of the country are you in that you get 6-8 years on a battery??? Wow! Anything over about 4 around here and you are on borrowed time.

FWIW when ever we jump somebody we tell them to drive it IMMEDIATELY to get it checked without shutting it off because unless the battery is fairly new and there is a KNOWN cause, i.e. dome light was left on, they are likely to be calling us again for ANOTHER road service call ($).

Old 08-24-05, 07:39 AM
6-8 years is not that uncommon, the battery in my parents buick is 5 years old, and my buddies batteries are 7 years old. man did the years fly god i am getting old.

this is the chicago land area where we live

Old 08-24-05, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Ah, so your battery is in the "refrigerator" several months out of the year.

Old 08-24-05, 11:40 AM
Talking about car battery. As soon as the battery out of manufacture (for less maintenance battery, acid already added), the battery clock is ticking no matter whether you drive your car or not. If it has warrenty of 72 months, most likely it will last more than 72 months since the manufacture already take battery shelf life into account. I got my both 1st car battery last around 6 years after bought them new. I am in CA and battery warrenty for 6-8 years are very common here. Of cause, the price also slightly different depending on manufacture and type of battery.

Old 08-25-05, 11:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I live in Connectitax, and got an 8 year warrantee on the battery for my truck at the A Zone. I have since switched to the Palace because parts generally cost less and I don't have to wait a week for the part to come in, sometimes i cna get the part i need 2 hours later.