CV Boot Removeal

Old 08-23-05, 02:37 PM
CV Boot Removeal

How do you remove the CV boot on a 88 grand am? do u have to cut the boot or the clamp

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 05:37 PM
These days you just replace the whole cv with a rebuilt one. less messy to. if you want to go the other route you need to buy special crimpers and the cv boot. unbolt the lower ball joint pull the steering knuckle back after takeing the cv nut off. You may need to tap the end of the cv with a plastic hammer or brass one. next cut the boot off clean all the grease off and then repack it and clamp the boot and put everything back together

Old 08-23-05, 08:05 PM
ok thanks i just needing to get the joint out of the axle so i can pull the engine and trans

Old 08-23-05, 08:11 PM
ah you mean out of the hub, use a pry bar to work it out of the trans don't yank on the cv to get it out of the trans

So your pulling the engine and trans but your asking about how to get the cv out, forgive my ignorance, but are you getting in over your head

Old 08-23-05, 08:17 PM
so i dont need to take the joint out of the socket, i can take the whole thing out of the trans with a pry bar

Old 08-23-05, 08:30 PM
ok i am going to state this as assuming you want to take the trans out. the steering knuckle is what the tire bolts to. first you need to take the center bolt out usually around a 32mm the big one. Then you can unscrew the lower ball joint nut and probably going to have to beat the knuckle with a hammer where it goes around the ball joint to pop it off the control arm. then you can be slick pull out on the steering knuckle and tap the center of the cv in towards the car to get it out of the hub, now its free from the hub, Then to get the other end out of the trans use a pry bar or big screw drivers to wedge it out there is just a c-clip holding it in the trans wich will allow it to come out when you pry it.

You can't pry it out of the trans till the end in the steering knuckle is loose or the entire steering knuckle is unbolted

Old 08-23-05, 08:52 PM
ok thank ill give it a try in the morning