Power Windows on Ford Crown Victoria

Old 08-23-05, 07:09 PM
Power Windows on Ford Crown Victoria

There was a post a short time ago about the power windows on a Crown Victoria 1989, where you can hear the window motor running but the window doesn't move.
This is due to wear inside the motor gear. The worm gear drives a plastic wheel which in turn drives a steel tooth gear. The plastic wheel transfers the torque to the tooth gear by means of three short plastic dowels about 1/2" diameter. When the window hits top or bottom, the dowels must absorb the force of the sudden stop, and over time, they get completely pulverized and there is nothing left to transmit the torque. Instead of buying a new motor for $140, get a motor from the junk yard, which runs between $20 and $30, preferably from the passenger side, since they wear out much slower than the ones on the driver side and replace the fractured dowels. Taking out the motor is not very complicated; after removing the door speaker, bend up the bottom of the door panel just enough to be able to drill 3 holes near the bottom of the door (there are 3 dimples prepunched in the door which indicate where to drill) to access and remove the 3 motor bolts, then reach through the speaker hole to take the motor out (window has to be in the closed position). Once the motor is out, there is one screw to remove the gear cover. Clean out all the fragmented plastic and put the 3 replacement dowels in as well as ample grease, install the gear cover and and remount the motor in the door.
Unfortunately, you can't buy the little plastic dowels by themselves, they are only sold to motor rebuilders.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 04:24 AM
But you can buy a gear kit.

Old 08-24-05, 03:55 PM
I am very pleased with your post. I wasn't aware that you can buy a gear kit, the local Ford place didn't tell me that when I went there about the problem with my window motor, they only offered me a replacement motor. This is good to know if I ever have a need in the future, thanks.

Old 08-26-06, 07:16 AM
found dowels

Originally Posted by hukre
There was a post a short time ago about the power windows on a Crown Victoria 1989, where you can hear the window motor running but the window doesn't move.
This is due to wear inside the motor gear. The worm gear drives a plastic wheel which in turn drives a steel tooth gear. The plastic wheel transfers the torque to the tooth gear by means of three short plastic dowels about 1/2" diameter. When the window hits top or bottom, the dowels must absorb the force of the sudden stop, and over time, they get completely pulverized and there is nothing left to transmit the torque. Instead of buying a new motor for $140, get a motor from the junk yard, which runs between $20 and $30, preferably from the passenger side, since they wear out much slower than the ones on the driver side and replace the fractured dowels. Taking out the motor is not very complicated; after removing the door speaker, bend up the bottom of the door panel just enough to be able to drill 3 holes near the bottom of the door (there are 3 dimples prepunched in the door which indicate where to drill) to access and remove the 3 motor bolts, then reach through the speaker hole to take the motor out (window has to be in the closed position). Once the motor is out, there is one screw to remove the gear cover. Clean out all the fragmented plastic and put the 3 replacement dowels in as well as ample grease, install the gear cover and and remount the motor in the door.
Unfortunately, you can't buy the little plastic dowels by themselves, they are only sold to motor rebuilders.

Theres a guy on ebay that sells the dowels real cheep. i purchased 2 sets for my f150 and it cost under $10.00 and worked great. they came with instructions too.

Old 08-26-06, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I rebuilt the power window motor on a '67 T-Bird with suicide doors many years ago. There was a gear kit available from Ford back then. I guess some things don't improve with age.

Search this Thread