only getting 260 miles to the tank ??????

Old 08-23-05, 08:42 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
Angry only getting 260 miles to the tank ??????

Hello all,

let me start by thanking anyone who could help me out with this. I have a 93 mazda protege its a 1.8 dohc with about 150k miles. im only getting about 260 to 270 miles per tank full. it roughly equates to about 19 mpg. its really frustrating to hear people with simmilar cars ( mazda protege 93 dx 1.8 sohc) getting about 350 to 400 miles per tankfull. ill tell you symptoms of the car atleast only the ones noticable, through the power band up to 3k rpm it lfeels like short surges of power like instead of a smooth curve of power its like in steps climbing up till 3k rpm then it like clears up and continues a smooth increasing power curve.

things i havent changed or replaced :

- oz sensor
- injectors

thing i have replaced:

- intake gasket
- plugs (properly gapped)
- exhaust gasket
- pcv valve
- plug wires
- cap & rotor

Thing i have done to the car (atleast i dont think this would create a problem with gas milage )

- plugged catalytic removed and replaced with straight pipe
- tubular header instead of block log type manifold
- car is lowerd with sport suspension but was done right no tire wear or alighnment problems.

Any ideas?????

Old 08-23-05, 08:50 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that the original o2 with 150k on it,

you can run fine with out a cat because you are obd1.

i am not sure how that motor behaves to haveing a header on it, things like that can decrease gas mileage, and have a dramatic affect on how the motor runs depending on the design of the header.

you may want to try an injector cleaning service at a lube shop or pepboys. the one where they hook onto the fuel rail. if you have 150k and never used injector cleaner you could have a ton of carbon on the back of the valves

did you put a coffee can muffler on that thing to cuz that will lower gas mileage especially with no cat

also look for vacuum leaks, i am sure some of your vacuum hoses have leaks because how old they are.

also jack rabbit starts knocks the hell out of your miles to tank no matter what car you have

a faulty temp sensor will knock the hell out of fuel mileage to check it all

Last edited by shottys; 08-23-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 09:22 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
more info

well i dont know if its the origional o2 sensor. ill change it anyways.... it has the oem muffler. i did notice the hoses a little dry rotted..

"also jack rabbit starts knocks the hell out of your miles to tank no matter what car you have" "you can run fine with out a cat because you are obd1." im not to sure what that means.

Thanks for all your info.........

Old 08-23-05, 09:24 PM
S
jack rabbit starts means you stomp the gas to take off quickly

the obd thing don't worry about

Old 08-23-05, 09:43 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by protouser
"you can run fine with out a cat because you are obd1." im not to sure what that means.
Your On Board Diagnostics (OBD) is an older generation (I or "one") of computer that will allow you to run the engine w/o a catalytic converter

Old 08-24-05, 08:13 AM
M
tires?

Did you put fatter tires on it?how about there pressure keep them inflated.

Old 08-24-05, 04:00 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
changed my o2 sensor.

yeah i maintain 32psi in the tires......i changed the o2 sensor today and filled my tank ill tell you if i see an improvement. i still have to get the vacume hoses. wish me luck.....thanks all for the help

Old 08-24-05, 05:48 PM
S
i didn't say to replace them all only check for bad ones if you are just buying the stuff by the foot its cheap and a good idea on stuff that old anyways

Old 08-24-05, 07:17 PM
protouser
Visiting Guest
yeah thats the idea

the o2 sensor was only 16 bucks and i felt a gain in power. im gonna change all the hoses anyways looks nicer too and at 30 cents a foot its worth it. well i really concentrated on the sound and reaction of the car today. when cool up to about 20 minutes into travel it starts to heat up and it doesnt seem to want to idle past 800 rpm when the ac is on. but when i shut it off it climbs to 1000 and then drops back to about 700 to 800 then i turn the ac off and it does the same. and there is a loss of power when it gets to temp and in traffic. AHHH problems............. what would i do with out alcohol......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: