Ford 2.9 L efi overheat

Old 08-24-05, 05:03 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 2.9 L efi overheat

Good Morning: Re: 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9 liter efi w/ac. Problem: Overheating. All of a sudden the engine has started to over heat. On a cold start, (meaning after it has had a lengthly time to cool down, like overnite) it takes quite awhile for it to reach way above norm , but when it does, it does not return to norm, while driving. The fan is working, and there is nothing blocking the radiator. After it gets hot, and I shut it down and wait awhile, the temp gauge will jump back up right away upon restarting. I drained the radiator (via the large hose at the bottom that goes to the water pump) I had to use that hose because the drain plug which appears to be a plastic turn, came all the way out without opening the drain. The thing that came out had a little "fork" on the end that looked like it is supposed to turn something else further in. I changed over the tstat, but it made no diff. I pulled the tstat out again, ran a water hose through the hole to the engine where the tstat goes to flush it, then reconnected without the tstat, to see if the new tstat was bad, but to no prevail. It still over heated. I also flushed the radiator out . Still no help. I reinstalled the tstat, still no help. I suppose that the next thing I will do is address the water pump, but, it appears that the pump has been replaced before because it appears to be newer than the rest of the motor. My question is, is there a way for me to see if the pump is working without having to take it off, (it looks like that will be quite a job) installing another, and then finding out that isn't the fix either. I am at wits end, I have not had this vehicle very long, and it is the only one we have. You may ask why don't I take it to a shop, but I am retired on a fixed income and cannot afford a large bill, that is why I am trying this on my own even though my skill level is very low. I have tried to explain this problem as best I can, probably missing some points. Can anyone please help me. Thank you all in advance

Old 08-24-05, 05:15 AM
That is the radiator drain plug that you took out but it looks like the radiator is stopped up? Which could be the reason it's over heating. Does the truck run cooler running down the road? Now my question is does the truck seem to lose coolant?

Old 08-24-05, 06:03 AM
M
Hogfan, Thank you for your response. Answer to questions: No, it does not cool down while driving, and no, at this point in time, it does not loose coolent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: