Grease zert question.....

Old 08-24-05, 05:00 PM
Question Grease zert question.....

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado half ton. It's a V6 with automatic transmission. The grease zert on my right lower ball joint will not take any grease. I was gonna pull the zert out and replace it but it had no shoulder to get a wrench on. Also didn't appear to have threads on the zert. Could it be pressed in or something like that. If so, how do I remove it to replace it. I will tap it myself if it won't hurt anything. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 05:41 PM
don't recall seeing a zerk with no place to get socket on it, but it sounds like to me that the problem lies in the way you are greasing it you probably want to try different angles or different attachments if the grease won't go in

Old 08-24-05, 06:08 PM
Also, try putting that

wheel up on jackstands, sometimes when you get the weight off the suspension, the zerk fitting will take the grease. At work (wheeled industrial equipment), this helps about 80% of the time.

You can also try taking something like a small nail or dental pick and make sure that the little ball on the front is moving properly.

I hope this helps!

Old 08-24-05, 06:09 PM
I've never seen one like it either. Both lower ball joints look like that. The ones on the tie rod ends have a place for a socket. I've tried every angle and it's worked fine until this last time I tried to grease it. Is it possible for a grain of sand or something to get in there and clog it up? Just grasping at straws.

Old 08-24-05, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Desy2820
wheel up on jackstands, sometimes when you get the weight off the suspension, the zerk fitting will take the grease. At work (wheeled industrial equipment), this helps about 80% of the time.

You can also try taking something like a small nail or dental pick and make sure that the little ball on the front is moving properly.

I hope this helps!
This does help. Hadn't thought of jacking it up. I can do that at work. I'll give that a shot. Thanks, everyone.!