f-150

Old 08-24-05, 07:35 PM
JET MECHANIC
Visiting Guest
f-150 overheating in 5-10 min.

i am troubleshooting an overheat problem, so far the T-stat has been replaced, radiator has been replaced, water pump has been replaced. thought the head gasket was blown, but no coolent was found in cylinder's. you think the heater core could be stopped up causing the overheat?
(also the engine has been rebuilt approx. 1 year ago)

Last edited by JET MECHANIC; 08-24-05 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-05, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Negative on the heater core; you could bypass that completely and have no effect on engine temperature.

Have you checked all of the accessories to ensure they turn freely? Dragging brake? Also, how's your transmission? Remember your tranny cooler is in the radiator, so a hot running tranny is a remote possibility.

I would do a compression check before I went much further, even though you found no evidence of a coolant leak. Prime suspect in overheating problems especially since you've eliminated a lot of the other possibilities already.

the_tow_guy [RETIRED Jet Mechanic]

Old 08-24-05, 09:00 PM
Also make sure the fan(s) work and the cowl is installed.

Post the year and engine size. There could be a known problem that someone here might know about.

Old 08-25-05, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I would do a compression check before I went much further, even though you found no evidence of a coolant leak. Prime suspect in overheating problems especially since you've eliminated a lot of the other possibilities already.
I'll second that

Old 08-25-05, 10:04 PM
just a thought

I had a vacuum leak cause overheating in heavy traffic on an early model saturn........might be worth a torch test, just a thought.

Old 09-12-05, 07:01 PM
JET MECHANIC
Visiting Guest
the engine is a 302.

Old 09-12-05, 07:04 PM
JET MECHANIC
Visiting Guest
i will do a compression teat this weekend, also the shroud is fully installed.
something else to think about; i just ran it about 1800 miles this week. on the highway it runs great, but hot in town.

Old 09-12-05, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by JET MECHANIC
the engine is a 302.
What year?
And where did you get the water pump?

Old 09-12-05, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it for sure running hot or is it just the gauge saying so? I have an old flathead V-8, the gauge always showed it running hot, I tried everything - turned out to be a faulty gauge. If everything else checks out [and its not spueing water] check the gauge.

Old 09-12-05, 08:29 PM
clutch fan?

Does the clutch fan work like it has to?

Old 09-13-05, 06:16 PM
sjdude
Visiting Guest
Take the T-stat out and run it. I replaced a bad one and the one I got new from Pep Boys was also not working....drove me nuts before I realized it wasn't working.

Old 09-13-05, 06:22 PM
Flux-engineer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marksr
Is it for sure running hot or is it just the gauge saying so? I have an old flathead V-8, the gauge always showed it running hot, I tried everything - turned out to be a faulty gauge. If everything else checks out [and its not spueing water] check the gauge.

Exactly. Lets start here. How do u know its overheating? Boiling over or just gauge reading high?

Old 09-14-05, 04:33 AM
While its cool I would take the radiator cap off and let it idle until it got up to temp.. Stick a therm.. in the water and check the temp......if the gauge says its running hot and the therm.. says its normal its a bad gauge or sending unit..