Bad O2 sensor cap??

Old 08-26-05, 05:01 PM
Lightbulb Bad O2 sensor cap??

Hi,

I have a '97 Honda Accord EX with 123k miles and my 'check engine' light went on and when it was diagnosed, I was told that one of the Oxygen (O2) cap sensors went bad. The cost for repair, parts and labor, is $450. What's up with this?? Is this something I need to address??

Thanks,

greenda4

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure about the nomenclature you are using, but if you are saying one of the O2 sensors is bad, they are usually not cheap on the import cars. Think I paid about $125 for one for my Toy truck several years ago. A charge of $450 to replace one would be more than a little steep in my never-to-be humble opinion, unless I am missing something here or confusing an O2 sensor with something RELATED to the O2 sensor. Could also be more labor involved on that particular vehicle, but most O2 sensors are quite accessible and take about 10 minutes to change. Check with you local parts places and see what they stock for O2 sensors. If would help if you found out what codes came up when they scanned it, or you could go by an Auto Zone if they are in your area and they will scan it for free.

Old 08-27-05, 12:16 PM
Never heard of a cap sensor, but O2 sensors are a common problem due to the environment that they work in (your exhaust manifold and pipe system). Many of the current models have two sensors, an upstream (manifold) and a downstream (pipe). I'm not sure about yours, but your dealer or local parts outfit can tell you. Many techs elect to replace both so that you don't pay for one only to have the other go out soon afterwards and come back to them to complain. Also, labor cost is an issue nowadays.
$450 for two sensors plus the diagnosis, installation, and reset of the check engine light would make sense, but if it's only one sensor that they want to change, I'd be getting a second opinion.
Given the mileage on your car, I'd say you got very good usage from that sensor (or sensors). They are critical to properly controlling your engine operation. They affect your power, fuel mileage, and exhaust. Get the problem fixed.
Good luck!

Old 08-27-05, 04:47 PM
I don't know what an O2 Cap Sensor is either
Well, the cap part anyway

Old 08-28-05, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Was that $450 estimate at a dealership by any chance? Sounds like dealership prices. Either way, like finefix suggested, I would get another opinion and when you do don't tell them what the other shop diagnosed. That way they will look at it without being predisposed to make the same diagnosis. You might also post the codes here that came up for the pros to see.

Old 08-29-05, 10:07 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I got the cap part incorrect. It is just an O2(oxygen) sensor. The $450 is for both sensors and labor. The cost does not include the diagnosis, which was a separate $82 (the shops hourly labor rate). This was not done at the dealer. I will take it to Auto Zone and see what they say. I think I over heard the technician say that a code of 1200 something or 1400 something came up on his scan, but I am not completely sure.

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 08-29-05, 06:29 PM
Lightbulb

Well, I went to Autozone and the code came up: P0141 (Bank1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction. They said the sensor w/the connector is $189 each and the universal sensor is $59.99 if I want to make the modifications to the current harness and use the old connector. Given this info, is this something that I should hop on right away??

Thanks,

greenda4

Old 08-29-05, 08:42 PM
I believe there was an emmision design defect for 96-97 honda accords(maybe other models too) and honda/acura was forced to extend the warranty for all emission parts for 14yrs/150,000 miles and provide a free tune up at 75k and 150k miles. The o2 sensor is probably covered under this. Call the dealer about it. If they say no, call honda customer service and ask them and check for a TSB on this.

Old 08-29-05, 09:05 PM
Here's a link about the warranty:

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Old 08-31-05, 05:50 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks for the info Jeff! I am going to call the dealer ASAP!

greenda4