87 Jeep Cherokee Engine Turns Over Slow

Old 08-27-05, 09:05 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
87 Jeep Cherokee Engine Turns Over Slow

I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl 198,000 miles. The engine turns over very slow. I had the battery tested and it tested fine also had the alternator tested and it was fine. About 2 weeks ago I cleaned the terminals and replaced the postive battery terminal. This morning it would barely turn over , but did start. I have a 4 cyl Ford Probe, which starts as it should. This morning after the problem with the jeep, I switched batterys. The Jeep battery started the probe just fine. The probe battery did start the jeep, but it turned over somewhat slow. I was hoping that the probelnm was in the battery, but now believe it is somewhere in teh Jeep system. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
I would suspect the starter, but make sure you double check all the battery cable connections including the main hot connection at the starter itself. Be careful around the connections that you don't make a circuit to ground with a wrench; disconnect the negative terminal first. Also wouldn't hurt to take tension off your serpentine belt (or plain fan belts) and ensure all of your accessories spin freely. Any chance it is the orignal starter? That would really tend to point a finger at it.

Old 08-27-05, 10:59 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Tow Guy, I have had the Jeep since probably 120,000 miles and have not changed the starter. I don't know before that. Do I remove the starter to have it checked? Thanks for your help.

Jay

Old 08-27-05, 05:36 PM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Does this make any sense? I decided to take the starter off and take it to a parts house for testing. While looking for the starter, I noticed the starter area was coverd with oil and grease. I also noticed that where the ground cable bolted to the block, it was also very oily. I sprayed everything down with a degreaser and hosed it off. I was going to start the vehicle and move from the wet area. It turned over jsut as it should have. I went out and started it several times this afternoon and each time it started in a normal fashion. The negative cable appeared to have lost some coating and was very oily. Could this have been the problem, doens't seem possible to me.

Jay

Old 08-27-05, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by MJE49
Does this make any sense? I decided to take the starter off and take it to a parts house for testing. While looking for the starter, I noticed the starter area was coverd with oil and grease. I also noticed that where the ground cable bolted to the block, it was also very oily. I sprayed everything down with a degreaser and hosed it off. I was going to start the vehicle and move from the wet area. It turned over jsut as it should have. I went out and started it several times this afternoon and each time it started in a normal fashion. The negative cable appeared to have lost some coating and was very oily. Could this have been the problem, doens't seem possible to me.

Jay
i've had some same problems with my van, when the oil gets on the wires, but its weird because the connection good but that little bid of oil stops it.

Old 08-27-05, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by MJE49

Jay
i've had some same problems with my van, when the oil gets on the wires, but its weird because the connection was good but that little bid of oil stops it.

Old 08-28-05, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Oil and dirt on the cables normally shouldn't matter unless it was interfering with a good connection at the terminal(s). Hey, don't knock success. Only time will tell if it is a permanent fix.

Search this Thread