97 3.8 Camaro code 300

Old 08-27-05, 02:08 PM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
97 3.8 Camaro code 300

I have read many articles of people swapping parts. I am going to buy a software/laptop diagnostic program off ebay.

I changed plugs and wires. Some help. Random misfire has not shown up again. Question is alternator guage spikes and interior and headlight blink sometimes. At idle it seems to develope a miss and voltage with ac on drops close to red level. Is this effecting sensors ?

Old 08-27-05, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
IT sounds like you have a charging system issue. Get the battery and alternator checked to rule them out.
Good Luck.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 08-28-05, 01:18 AM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
Things just got worse

Electrical checked out ok. Now check engine light blinks and car sputters and shows a code 300. At the suggestion of the auto parts I changed the camshaft position sensor. No luck. I threw in some injector cleaner and took my wifes car for a drive. No power, lack of acceleration, I will check spark tomorrow on all cylinders. Suggestions?

Old 08-28-05, 07:33 AM
J
What's the voltage guage doing when you're having these problems? Have you checked the belt tension? Did you gap the spark plugs? Make sure none of the spark plugs wires have come lose.

Old 08-28-05, 12:30 PM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
Plug wires triple checked. Bosh Plat 2. After spending all that time removing some of the most difficult plugs to changed I made sure all wires boots and connections were solid (x3). Voltage guage does a ticking like spike of maybe 1/2 to 1 volt every few seconds. It had been doing this for a while before problem started. I have read exverthing I could get my computer to find last night. I am just going down a list. But without proper diagnostic tools other than a code reader it is difficult.

Old 08-29-05, 07:51 PM
P0300 is a random/ multiple misfire code. This means that there is possible misfiring on more than one cylinder or on random cylinders. It could mean a bad coil or some other electrical component. How long have the Bosch Plat POS plugs been in there? You really need to get those out of there. They are not any good for domestic vehicles. You would be much better off with Delco's in there or at the very least some Autolites.
The random misfiring could also indicate that you have gotten ahold of some bad gas. I have actually seen that alot lately. You might want to try running a full tank of high test in there to see if this helps.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 08-31-05, 12:10 AM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
Plat 2 about 200 miles. I have used plat 2 for years in my other cars. Those were 6 of the hardest plugs I have ever changed. It is running better air filter was black. Gave me a code 420 cat below threshold. I do not drive it, only my wife. I am a truck man. This was an auction car I bought to sell and she repoed it from me and now does not want to drive her suburban. It has 83 k and apparently not cared for well. It must have been the original air filter and plugs. It was getting too expensive to hit the mechanic all the time.

I thought gas so I ran it dry and put in fresh. No luck. Now I have been reading some theory on newer ignition and emissions. I did get a 306 a week or so back. But not again. So I looked at 6 real good, so if 6 was bad then 3 would be bad on a waste spark coil. (shared) My wife is still driving it about 2 miles to work and I showed her what to do if it started missing. She kept push down on the gas. Which would kill the cat and make it worse.

We live on the Texas coast so there is constant corrosion. I checked voltage off of several ground and found a reduction of close to 50%. I have had more weird electrical problems traced to grounds than I want to think of. I will fix these and keep looking.

Old 08-31-05, 12:17 AM
jpotts461
Visiting Guest
I see you like 68 and 69 SS. I used to have a 69 SS El Camino 396 with 427 hp. Sweet. It like my 63 vette and 63 Impala SS convertible got stolen. Now the only flashy car I own is the 97 Camaro. I put in an alarm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: