Spray In Carb Keeps It Running

Old 08-28-05, 12:05 PM
Spray In Carb Keeps It Running

I've got an '88 Corolla 4-AF 2bbl (1.6) that had almost everything off the block
It's back together now
It dies at idle...it goes up and down and runs a little with your foot off the gas
Then pretty much dies

It seems to run OK with a little pressure on the gas pedal

It sure could have alot that's not put together right, as the engine was taken down except block/crank/pistons
H/C/I/E all were off
DOHCams, and I'm not real familier with those, but I'm pretty sure I did it "as per the instructions"
It's got a buttload of vac hoses (carb in '88 lol) that I marked and think I got back right, but the oil, grease, and movement in the bay wiped some clean, and had me guess/assume a few
Nothing floating free or un-accounted for

As I was checking stuff that could be wrong/mal-adjusted, the thing I really noticed was how a spray of cleaner down the throat of the carb really made it idle properly..for a few
Should I be looking at a fuel problem here?
The fuel pump was off the engine, it's mechanical, and there were no known fuel problems before the teardown
I have not replaced the fuel filter as it will get new filters all 'round once it's running

I'm pretty sure the throttle cable, carb links, and set screws etc. are as they were before their removal
I'm going to go over everything to try and check that

But the spray down the carb got me wondering if it is something fuel related rather than I messed up the cams by a notch, or stabbed the dizzy a little off, or the timing belt is off a notch (which are the things I figured would be messed up if it didn't start/run after it was put back together)

Any tips, hints, suggestions, or answers would be appreciated
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-05, 12:15 PM
There is an electrical connector for the carb........is it plugged in?

Old 08-28-05, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure
Is it eh white or the green?
There's a white one with no home
But I thiught I remembered it being that way before

Old 08-28-05, 12:27 PM
I checked, the big green and the tubular black one near the firewall were both cleaned and re-connected
I'm sure you mean the big green one, it goes right to the carb

Old 08-28-05, 01:25 PM
Well after I checked I started up
It was kinda stumbling, but it ran w/o my foot on the gas
I sprayed some Sea Foam Deep Creep down the carb
Idle jumped right up
I let it calm down but it never went back to so low it's dying
It seems to be running now....
At least now I can check the timing
The exhaust manifold was leaking a bit so I tightened that right up
I want to change the oil a few times, flush the radiator, and change the filters

The idle seems to drop quite a bit when the (electric) fan comes on, it probably did that before I really just notice it now with all the stuff still off the engine and me being really touchy looking for probs
And now that the air intake hose is off I've noticed that when the engine is plenty heated up, there is still vacuum to the ....I'd call it the heat riser valve, which is opening
The heat shields are not back on yet so it's not sucking hot air into the engine, but when the shields and tubes go back on I'll have to address that

I may even get to test drive it before dark

Either messing with that connector or the Sea Foam seems to have "fixed" that immediate problem

Thanks T-Man!

I'll post back after the fluid filter change
As always, any tips, hints, opinions or suggestions are appreciated

Old 08-28-05, 02:02 PM
It’s cominin back to me now…………….Those carbed ones have a “slow jet” that is very prone to getting clogged. Happens when you remove the head and carb gets turned on its side.

The sometime fix is to rev the rpm up to 3-4k and “choke” it by putting a rag over the top of the inlet.

Old 08-28-05, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
.Those carbed ones have a “slow jet” that is very prone to getting clogged. Happens when you remove the head and carb gets turned on its side.
Well it was up on it's side quite a bit
I left the intake 'n' carb attacched to the head while I cleaned and scraped the head
A slow jet huh?
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
The sometime fix is to rev the rpm up to 3-4k and “choke” it by putting a rag over the top of the inlet.
Well that's kinda what I did
I put my uh....foot pedal stick thing on the gas to keep up the RPMs (to keep it going at the time), and sprayed the Sea Foam in there
Usually that makes it bog, die if you spray enough
Floods it rather than chokes it I guess
But it didn't, the RPMs zoomed right up, it loved it
Seeing as it seemed to help I did it again
When I went back out and did it the third time clinched it
Now it seems great

I'm still running water through the radiator which is still coming out kinda grey
I'd like to put some fresh in and run it for another 20 then drain it again
Then maybe put in some coolant before I take it on the road for a real test

A slow jet that gets clogged when it's on it's side...lol
I'll have to file that one somewhere
Thanks TM!